• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC appearing at the end of EPUB

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I fix this? When I export a book to a re-flowable EPUB the TOC goes to the very end. How do I put it at the beginning while keeping the clickable sections? 

I saw a post earlier to cut and put on a random page but didn't quite understand it. I am new to InDesign. 

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the articles panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it, doesn't work. Still pushes the TOC to the end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since EPUB readers read the metadata TOC, do you even need the TOC on the pages?

If you do, can you supply a screen capture of your Articles panel?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's for my work. They are having me create an EPUB for a handbook that is reflowable. I told them it's pointless to have a TOC when a EPUB is reflowable since the adjustment of the size of the text will make the TOC inaccurate. 

Untitled-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All EPUB readers can display a built-in TOC without it being on a page(s). Have you shown them what it looks like in a reader?

Also, have set the set the options below when exporting:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all that too and the TOC still displays at the end of the page. I have showed them and my boss says he needs it to have a TOC in the book. Can I pay you to help me with this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get it to me, I'll take a look at it. (I might not be able to look at it until later today.)

I would suggest you just use hyperlinked topics and no page numbers since, as you said, it doesn't really make sense in a reflowable EPUB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17R5f94HYd-UQK9-2oecoXMXkam-4KdgH/view?usp=sharing

Here you go. I can give you 10 bucks if you can figure it out. Thank you in advance. Really struggling to get this figured out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your text flow is messed up. The title page is linked to the Team Member Handbook page. 

An article is the entire text flow, not just the page. Fix you text flow an it will work perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!!! Thank you for your help! One more question. Is there a way to have a TOC without the page numbers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't add them when you create it.

Choose no page number from the Page number dropdown. The default is After Entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page numbers still show up on TOC after I select "no page number" from the dropdown. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update the TOC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the existing TOC text (keep the text frames) and rerun the TOC rather than just updating it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still showing the numbers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every heading style you include in the TOC has to have the number setting changed. 

Can you provide a screenshot of your TOC settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You fixed it. haha. Thank you so much sir. I appreciate you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines