Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC at beginning of each chapter shouldn't show next chapter's headlines

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!
We are in the process of creating an instruction manual that is rather detailed and organized in various chapters. At the beginning of each chapter, I want to give an overview of the steps in this chapter.

This is a perfect use case for a TOC. But somehow I can not solve the following issue:

When I create the TOC, it includes all the headlines of all chapters. I want it to only show the headlines of the chapter we are in right now.

How do I tackle this?
I'm very grateful for everyone who can help out with a hint.

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

It probably sounds worse than it is, but it isn't that much more work. If you use Based On to base your chapter heads on a single parent style, you can edit that parent style to update all others.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest making separate Paragraph Styles for each of the chapter heads. Something like Chapter1 Head, Chapter2 Head, etc. Then make a separate TOC style for each of the chapters that incorporates the relevant head style.

Each of the Paragraph Styles can be based on a single root Style, and the TOC styles can all be the same—just with distinct names. Get one the way you want it, then copy it as many times as necessary. 

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A TOC is gathering content in your document that is formatted using the Paragraph Styles you have applied and selected.

The result is a bit crazy, but to do what you want to achieve, you would need to:

• create heading styles per chapter
  • a TOC style for the first chapter
  • Duplicate and djust for each chapter
  • insert each TOC in the correct place

Where is fails, is then for the main TOC at the beginning of your manual, you would need to plan for something else.

As far as I remember, you cannot have the same TOC twice, you could try to copy paste each chapter, but I doubt it would update each TOC that are in 2 locations automatically.

You could consider creating a book. Each chapter is its own indd file, with its own TOC, then File > New > Book to collate Cover, Inside Cover, any intro, each chapter, index.... then add a main TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, thank you for your super quick answers!

I feared that this would require to have individual paragraph-styles for each chapter. This of course makes things way more complex than initially.

I think in this case we will ditch the TOC-in-each-chapter-idea since it would require way more work (especially since this document is going to be updated a lot in the future).

Thanks again for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It probably sounds worse than it is, but it isn't that much more work. If you use Based On to base your chapter heads on a single parent style, you can edit that parent style to update all others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's true. I'll play around a little bit and see whether it is reasonable for us.

I think was expecting a functionality that would allow me to only include headlines until they are "disrupted" by a superior headline-style.

Thanks for your advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines