• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC duplicating entries

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a TOC, and it's repeating most of the entries at least once over for no apparent reason. See screenshot. In the first section, it reaches the last entry on page 8, and then decides to repeat all the entries on pages 7 and 8 again. And so on.

I don't think I've EVER generated a TOC in InDesign that came off without a hitch. I already tried exporting to idml to clear bugs - nothing. I don't see anything in any setting that would be resposible for this weirdness. Any ideas are appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having I believe the same issue.  I have created a book, and have a TOC page, as well as 7 sections, of which they each have their own TOC.  So when i try and export to PDF i am getting the main TOC page, but underneath on the sidebar every TOC is showing up.  See screenshotsCatalog TOC Duplication 1.jpgCatalog TOC Duplication 2.jpgCatalog TOC Duplication 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there's no surprise there.

If you generate two ToCs (or more precisely, a second set of ToCs to incorporate sections/categories and one overarching one encompassing the entire book), and you check the box to Create PDF Bookmarks, you're going to get two PDF bookmarks for each listing. One to match up with the overarching ToC and one to match up with its corresponding section/category ToC.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that if both reference the same attributed paragraph style, it doesn't matter which duplicate you delete from your PDF bookmarks. All you have to do is delete one of them.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy,

As i am on a mac and using Preview instead of Acrobat, it did not seem possible to delete the bookmarks.  But once i opened the Catalog in Acrobat i noticed that i could delete the redundant TOC's.  To which i did and saved, tested it in preview and viola it works now.

Thanks,

Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very cool.

Preview is good for viewing PDFs — and other graphic files too. But it's not really equipped to add enhancements to existing PDFs. Acrobat is a good tool for editing/enhancing PDFs. You picked an excellent way to get past your problems, and there are many other tools in the Acrobat kit for enhancing all kinds of long document projects. If you've got the time to explore more of those features, you'll be amazed with what you can do to create better publications/documentation through Acrobat and PDF files.

Glad you're past your issues,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines