Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC help to change paragraph styles and combine lines

Participant ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

part page together.JPG

I have the Chapter page set up with Chapter 1 on a line above the chapter title. I would like to have them all on one line in the Table of Contents.

Can someone help me learn how to create a TOC para style that will end up with both lines combined? I hope I have explained the problem. I know I could manually do it but I'm sure there is some Indesign magic to make it happen on all occurrrences. I made the bookmarks and so I know the chapter number and heading all have the correct para style applied. Now to be able to change it in the TOC is the problem.

TOPICS
How to , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Hi Muskoka Lake:

InDesign does not have the option to place two paragraphs on the same line, like FrameMaker does. You will either need to edit the TOC after each update or make the two paragraphs into a single paragraph and separate them with a line break (Ctrl+Enter). When you update the TOC, enable the Remove Forced Line Break checkbox. 

If you choose the latter workflow, be sure there is a trailing space at the end of the chapter number para, so that the space will separate the two in th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Muskoka Lake:

InDesign does not have the option to place two paragraphs on the same line, like FrameMaker does. You will either need to edit the TOC after each update or make the two paragraphs into a single paragraph and separate them with a line break (Ctrl+Enter). When you update the TOC, enable the Remove Forced Line Break checkbox. 

If you choose the latter workflow, be sure there is a trailing space at the end of the chapter number para, so that the space will separate the two in the TOC.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Barb's answer, you can put a unique character at the end of the first "line" paragraph style in the actual content and use a character style to make it with a fill of none and 10% width. Create a saved find/change and run it after the update--search for the unique and replace it with a space. A bit of a pain, but not too bad unless you are updating the TOC every 10 minutes.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to obtain:

Chapter "number" - "Chapter Title"

you can use chapter title in your TOC with numbered list as in my screenshot

Screenshot (19).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is brilliant. I took the paragraph style off of the word chapter and its number. then I added the numbered list to the style for the chapter title. that is working well.

I do have a problem with the first chapter. It is different from the rest. I cleared all overrides and made sure it has the same para style as the others.

also I am wondering if there is a way to add the Prefix "Chapter" to the numbered list?

My Contents page is getting there but still needs work. thanks for your help to get me this far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not read more into your question that what you actually asked (can you combine two paragraphs on one line). Luckily, Vladan did.

You can certainly add text in front of your numbering code as shown in Vladan's screen capture. Also, your TOC can include paragraph styles in your book without requiring page numbers to be displayed, but just the text. 

Many times, I need to make 3 or 4 title based-on styles for a book: the main chapter style, the front matter styles (identical to main style without any chapter numbers), and the back matter style (if the appendices are numbered differently). Also, sometimes I make a Chapter_NoContents style for pages that I want to have a title that does not show up in the TOC. 

I also realized you were using bookmarks. Bookmarks are not necessary for this type of list--just good paragraph style usage.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the clear and explicit information. I am on my first project with Indesign so I have a lot to learn. I have used the numbered list and it is beginning to look better. Thanks for the tip about adding the word " chapter"(I missed seeing that). I have 2 questions: first

is there a way to change the overall character size in the TOC? I should have printed a copy. I assume I will have to change all the TOC character sizes, right?

second question: Are there some "best practices" about lining up the page numbers for different sections?

TOC size.JPG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines