• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC in InDesign

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m teaching myself how to use a TOC in InDesign as I normally just style up copy. I’ve styled a Contents page but the wording differs from the actual chapter headings in that the book uses ‘Chapter 1’ ‘Chapter 2’ etc but for the Contents page I’ve just used the number. How do I create a TOC when it’s bringing in the word Chapter? If I delete it then when I update the TOC it brings it back again. Is there a way round this? This will be an EPub as well as a printed book. Thanks. 

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set it up as follows:

1. In the body of the document, remove the words Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc from the chapter titles if they were typed in manually.
  2. Add them back in using InDesign's auto-numbering feature. 
  3. Generate the TOC, and pull in the chapter titles, but choose Numbered Paragraphs: Exclude Numbers.
  4. Now you will have a list of titles with no numbers. Add just the numbers back in for the TOC paragraphs using InDesign's auto-numbering feature. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I need to keep the word ‘Chapter’ in the body of the text so how do I put it back in without effecting the TOC?

Also the TOC is picking up an ornament on the chapter openings. I’ve rasterised it. How can I stop it from picking it up?

thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines