Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toc in indesign

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to create a table of contents in indesign with the automatic module.
my main titles are character style because the paragraph style does not allow me to achieve what I am trying to do.
Here is an example of text (in Bold my title that i want to be in my TOC) :

Lorem Ipsum - is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's.

Contrary - to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

The Table of Contents will always use the whole paragraph. 

To use specific words from a paragraph, you can create an index instead. 

Depending on how much content you have, that might seem like a lot of trouble. An expedient way to get things done would be to create a TOC, and then with Find/Change delete everything from the paragraph that is not bold. Because this unwanted content will reappear every time you update the TOC, save your Find/Change query so that you can run it again with just a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph! I'm not sure I understand your question. I also don't understand why you say that paragraph styles don't allow you to achieve what you're trying to do? You may need to create nested styles, which are simply character styles that are built into paragraph styles. Please try to clarify what you're trying to do. There are many talented people on this forum who are happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scoot,

Find attach a picture of what iwm trying to do.

I would like only the word in bold to be in my TOC (without going to the next line).

So my Table of contents will like this :

Lorem Ipsum

Contrary

1.PNG

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Table of Contents will always use the whole paragraph. 

To use specific words from a paragraph, you can create an index instead. 

Depending on how much content you have, that might seem like a lot of trouble. An expedient way to get things done would be to create a TOC, and then with Find/Change delete everything from the paragraph that is not bold. Because this unwanted content will reappear every time you update the TOC, save your Find/Change query so that you can run it again with just a couple of clicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nigel explains, TOC entries are triggered by paragraph styles and use all text tagged by that selected style. In your case you could tell InDesign to use only Style A, but there's no way for it to only include the bold text. If, on the other hand, the bold text were its own paragraph (with the rest of the entry tagged by another unique paragraph style beginning on the line below), you'd be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @joseph5FF8:

As per Nigel's response, one cannot generate a table of contents from character styles, only from paragraph styles. You might consider voting for this feature request: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20474899-ta...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wonder if it is worth mentioning the possibility that this might be done by simply using a Run-on paragraph style instead of a character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines