Hi, I'm setting up a book in Indesign, based on a word file. The TOC is not bringing in all the chapters that should be there. Header styles checked, nothing weird there. Only three items apear. Two of them come from a separate word file. I checked an old book where it still worked properly. When I updated the TOC all text disapeared... nu clue what's going on here...
Can you post a screen short of:
I know it seems like a lot of info, but without seeing your setup, it's hard to tell what is going wrong.
There should be ten chapters. They are all missing. only a peice of the title(which shoudn't be ther but I know what happende so not a problem) and the last two items are in it..
sorry I did not check my typing/spelling, too quick..
this paragraph panel I used for the style of all chapter headers
working and not working
Your screen captures do not show where the styles are being used. Can you select the text to show the paragraph style being applied?
For example, I seen the style "hoofdstuk" in your TOC style at level 2 and I see the style settings--but I don't see where it is actually applied in the document.
I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean? is it this?
I have a feeling it has to do with an automated TOC in the original word file. Could that be the problem?
But than I replaced the text, I even reinstalled Indesign but still the same problem occurs...
And it doesn't explain why it woked in an earlier stage/book and when I updated the TOC there the problem was there too..
I'm afraid my knowledge of InDesign goes short here..
Would you be able to share the document using the Creative Cloud or other method?
yes I would like to do that!
but.. a new challenge ;).
Have to admit that I do not use the adobe cloud as I should so I'm not sure how to share my 'open' indesign file with you.
I downloaded the file but I'm just about to start my class so I won't be a look at it for a few hours.
You are soo kind!! thank you so much! please don't worry about the time!
For my clients, and my own, privacy I take the link out now if that is ok.
you said: "When I updated the TOC all text disapeared... nu clue what's going on here..."
Does only all the text in the TOC's text frame(s) disappear?
Or does all the text disappear that is in the TOC plus all the text in the main story where the TOC should pull its contents from? If you see this the text frame holding the TOC is threaded with the main story. Never do this, do not update the current TOC. The TOC's story and every other story must be different stories ( different text threads ) and must not be tied or threaded together. Best add a new TOC in its own text frame first before you go on with your project.
( ACP )
thank you. Yes the second thing occured but I found it out so I removed the tie and made a new frame. But still the chapternumbers, chaptertitles and authors with the selected paragraph styles do not apear....
Do you thinks I should remove this text, mentioned above, from the main storie and type it again without copying from word?
thank you for your help!
It's definitely got something to do with the Word file and the text flow. Technically, your TOC should be working.
When I cut & pasted the chapter number, chapter title, and author byline into a separate text box, they showed up in the TOC. Going back to Uwe Laubender's advice, I would separate each chapter into it's own flow so the chapters are not interconnected. Another option if you are short on time is to cut the TOC items from the flow (what I did to test it), put them in their own text frame, and turn on textwrap for the frame.
A couple of notes...
When bringing Word files in, turn on Show Import Options and do not inport any unwanted settings. Gennerally, the Word Table of Contents is useless in an InDesign layout.
Try to use paragraph space in your styles rather than entering in multiple returns.
If I get some time later, I'll try to trouble-shoot it some more, but there is definitely a problem with the text flow.
Thank you so much for your advice!! I'm very glad that you comfirmed my suspicion about the wordflow.
As you guesseed, I run a little out of time with this project so I follow your advice of placing the chapters in separate boxes.
The import options I always turn on but still a lot of rubish comes with the one (italics in running text) I want to import.
Lately I used Incopy to get rid of all those unwanted settings.
Sinnce then the problem occurred. So I'm not sure if that is a good way out..
Paragraph spacing a good advice, forgot a little apout it
I will defenitely separate the chapters in my next project!
Thanks again for you time, advice and help, I'm very grateful!