Highlighted

TOC stops working when I split epub by paragraph style

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make an epub where the chapters of a book each start on a different page.  In the past I've done this by making each chapter a separate InDesign document, but now I'd like them to all be in the same InDesign document, but still start on a new page.

I've done this by selecting the "Split" function and telling it to split the epub on a given paragraph style.  That works great--chapters all start on a new page.  BUT as soon as I do that, the book will no longer convert to Kindle because there's a "TOC hyperlink missing."  

Nothing else has changed.  It works fine when I deselect the split options, but as soon as I tell it to split, I get this error.  (The epub also appears to be fine, but th ebook is useless to me if I can't upload it to Kindle.)  

Is it because I'm using the same style to split the chapters and to form the entries of the TOC?  I read somewhere that styles referenced in a TOC can't be used elsewhere, but I have no idea if that's actually the problem.  (I already removed the title from the TOC formatting, which did not fix the problem.)

Thoughts?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

TOC stops working when I split epub by paragraph style

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make an epub where the chapters of a book each start on a different page.  In the past I've done this by making each chapter a separate InDesign document, but now I'd like them to all be in the same InDesign document, but still start on a new page.

I've done this by selecting the "Split" function and telling it to split the epub on a given paragraph style.  That works great--chapters all start on a new page.  BUT as soon as I do that, the book will no longer convert to Kindle because there's a "TOC hyperlink missing."  

Nothing else has changed.  It works fine when I deselect the split options, but as soon as I tell it to split, I get this error.  (The epub also appears to be fine, but th ebook is useless to me if I can't upload it to Kindle.)  

Is it because I'm using the same style to split the chapters and to form the entries of the TOC?  I read somewhere that styles referenced in a TOC can't be used elsewhere, but I have no idea if that's actually the problem.  (I already removed the title from the TOC formatting, which did not fix the problem.)

Thoughts?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: it's not that I'm using the same style for both TOC and split, because when I change it to a totally different style to troubleshoot, the error still occurs.  Here's a screen shot of the error for reference.Screenshot 2020-10-08 161946.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 08, 2020 0