Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC with character style

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have a problem with the content table. I know how to create it.

The problem is that when I update the TCO, indDesign applies a character style at all the lines that is the first line of the quick application window.

I have to select all the text and delete the style.

While this style is used systematically?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Hi

I figured out what the problem is. The character styles were created a long time ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, with an old version of InDesign. As they were placed in patterns, I used them regularly without recreating them.

I found this answer because I created a trial from an empty file of any style and it works properly.

Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @gérardk27637618:

If a character style is assigned to the paragraph that you are pulling into the TOC, then it will pull in the character style as well.

Are you doing this in a single InDesign file or in an InDesign book? If you're using a book with a separate chapter for the TOC, you can redefine the pre-assigned character style do nothing in the TOC chapter.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Barb Binder 

I'm using a single file.

I have three styles in the TOC. I use nesteds styles.  I have bold characters before tabulation, a style to reduce the size of the straight points and the thirt style is to have the page number in roman characters.

I tested by replacing the fisrt style with roman and I have the same malfunction.

I added an example. Actually, the last line have roman characters. If you generate the TOC, bold will be applied on all the lines of the TOC. You lust select all the lines and delete added character style names gras. I never had this with old books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to apply unique Paragraph Styles to content within the TOC from within the TOC creation panel. Is this something you have tried? Happy to provide more details if that was too vague.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried to use unique paragraph style and I have the same problem. You can see the attache file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are applying the Grass style via nested styles in the paragraph style.
Rather defining the line via dots and characterstyle I would consider an appropriate stroke and apply an underline character style with this stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good point. Now I'm going to define the strokes like that. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

I figured out what the problem is. The character styles were created a long time ago, maybe 5 or 6 years ago, with an old version of InDesign. As they were placed in patterns, I used them regularly without recreating them.

I found this answer because I created a trial from an empty file of any style and it works properly.

Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines