• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Too many fonts

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to (safely) prune the font list in InDesign. I can’t for the life of me understand why hundreds of fonts show up in their menu when I only need to use several per job. Does any other Mac-user find creating style sheets a massive, soul-draining operation because of this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The very simple reason why so many fonts show up in your font menu in InDesign is because you have all those fonts installed and active on your computer system.

To eliminate all those fonts showing up in your font menu, you have two main choices:

(1) Reduce the number of fonts permanently installed on your computer system. Of course you will need to be exceptionally careful not to prune away fonts required by your operating system (Windows or MacOS).

(2) Use a third party font manager to allow sele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The very simple reason why so many fonts show up in your font menu in InDesign is because you have all those fonts installed and active on your computer system.

To eliminate all those fonts showing up in your font menu, you have two main choices:

(1) Reduce the number of fonts permanently installed on your computer system. Of course you will need to be exceptionally careful not to prune away fonts required by your operating system (Windows or MacOS).

(2) Use a third party font manager to allow selective activating / deactivating of families of fonts or individual fonts. This also will require some discipline on your part.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a very good response. I guess you have not tried to delete fonts on a Mac, it's a pain in the ass.

There is that filtering system in InDesign, I don't know if it then applies to the other Adobe applications.

The root problem is Apple using multiple fonts in its system instead of just one or two dedicated fonts. With dedicated system fonts, the user could deactivate any user font without concern for screwing up the computer's system. Really, how many designers need foreign language fonts? In my entire career, I have never had a need for Asian fonts and I would suppose the designers on the other side of the globe very rarely have a need for Western fonts. 

The long string of fonts interrupts the design process and that costs money and tries patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@edbiggs,

It sounds like your personal issue is with Apple, not with Adobe.

I'd suggest that if you feel strongly, post your comments on Apple forums, not here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quicker, simpler solution - use the favourites star in InDesign (in the fonts pallet), to reduce the number of fonts visible to just the ones you use the most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you were to use a professional font manager you can de-activate fonts. i do that.

Something like suitcase fusion is a much better way to manage your fonts versus using fontbook. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Suitcase Fusion, but it does not (and per their support, cannot) deactivate system fonts--they always show up in the Adobe menus.

We edit documents coming from many customers and projects, and the "favorites" vary nearly every time we open a document to make changes. What I'd really like to do is tuck away those we never use--put them out of immediate sight in the Character and Find Font palettes, if not out of system.  Examples are all the Notos, STYX, and asian fonts. The long list seems especially cumbersome in Find Font, as the order in which substitutes are presented is often mysterious to me and I tend to initially slide past the font I'm looking for.

I'm guessing what seems simple to our eyes may be more difficult on the Adobe programming side, but I'll still echo this request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @quoz If you are using MacOS or OSX this tells you what fonts are required by the OS:

http://www.jklstudios.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines