• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Totally confused with indesign

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I purchased a subscription for Indesign a year or so ago.  Everytime I launched the program it stated I needed an update.  (the program is loaded onto my computer)  So to do away with the bothersome update message I updated.  Seems it has to be done via the cloud.  So now, on my computer, I have version 14.0.3.  But I also have version 15.0.2 available in the cloud (whatever the cloud is).  How do I get the latest version located into my computer?   Bear in mind I was using Pagemaker previously.  My commercial Printer's last computer finally gave up, where he had access to Pagemaker, so I have to use Indesign CC, which I have been doing for over a year.  Why after updating do I not have the latest version loaded in my computer.  I'd like to know how because I know nothing about "cloud" and would rather not start learning at my age.  Any help is appreciated. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

"Bear in mind I was using Pagemaker (sic) previously."

Hi John,

First, did you know that InDesign got its start at Aldus? Adobe bought Aldus to get InDesign and promptly dropped PageMaker. Many of the shortcuts continue to work.

There is an Application called "Creative Cloud" on your computer, and you will need to find and open that to do the update. Your computer will need to meet the system requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

You will have the choic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Bear in mind I was using Pagemaker (sic) previously."

Hi John,

First, did you know that InDesign got its start at Aldus? Adobe bought Aldus to get InDesign and promptly dropped PageMaker. Many of the shortcuts continue to work.

There is an Application called "Creative Cloud" on your computer, and you will need to find and open that to do the update. Your computer will need to meet the system requirements.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

You will have the choice of keeping the old version or uninstalling it. You also have a choice to automatically install upgrades. I keep the previous version so I can go back to it if I need to, and I turn off automatic updates, as I never update in the middle of a project.

The Creative Cloud app will check in once a month to make sure you have an internet connection. InDesign is installed on your

hard drive. You can save files on your computer as you always have or in the "Cloud". I save them on my computer.

'Why after updating do I not have the latest version loaded in my computer."

Keep in mind that when you upgrade to InDesign 2020, you may have both versions installed and you may be launching the older version from an old shortcut. You may have to delete the old shortcut, launch the new version, and create a new shortcut.

You didn't say if you are on Mac or Windows, and the directions are slightly different in checking to see if you have the new version installed but are still using the old one. Let us know if you need more help.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane:

Being old school, I was under the assumption it would update the previous version and adjust the desktop icon accordingly.  I found both Indesign 2019 and 2020 in the program section of windows 10.  I simply moved the icon to the desktop and not both are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, John, I'm glad it's working for you now!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines