• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring InDesign CS3 Files to CS6

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a despicable ploy to drive new sales, Adobe has locked me out of my old reliable CS3 program, preventing me from accessing over a decade of important files.  I've loaded CS6 but am having difficulty retrieving the larger files from InDesign CS3.  I've finally secured a new temporary Re-Registration number but rather than accepting the code to Reactivate my existing CS3, the process requires me to first remove and reinstall the program entirely.  I am concerned that by doing so, these files won't ever be retrievable.  Any suggestions?  I'm in deadline on a project that needs some of these files immediately!!  Thanks Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: You're not talking to Adobe here. You are mostly talking to long-time InDesign users.

I doubt you'll have any problem opening CS3 files in CS6 unless they somehow have gotten corrupted. What is the difficulty you're having. Can give us the exact text of any error message.

What operating system are you running CS6 on?

You may still be able to run CS3. The activation server for CS3 was discontinued. See this thread:

Re-activating CS3 (Updated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve and Jane,

Thanks for your response.  I am still using the same computer - PC 64-bit with Windows, but the CS3 was loaded when I had Vista rather than the current Windows 10 Home Version 1709.  What i mean by "locked out" is that I am not permitted to use the CS3 Program until I go through a process of "Reactivating" it.  Apparently, since it is no longer supported, Adobe has no way to verify that the old relics who would like to continue using it are in fact authorized to.  Therefore, a message is shown when you attempt to access the program that reads: "Temporary Activation Expired - You Must Reactivate To Use This Product"  They offer a few options - Automatic Online (which repeatedly fails) or Phone Activation (which has a recording stating that they no longer provide this service).  After wading through the tons of online info, I discovered the means to secure a new Temporary Registration Number, but instead of allowing the Reactivation of my existing CS3, the process requires a complete removal of the program and a reinstall.  I can't afford to lose these existing files, so I'm hesitant to dump the program.  There must be a simple way to transfer them to CS6 InDesign!  What do you suggest??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens when you try and open the files in CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a complete reinstall would be needed. I don't understand what you mean by "can't afford to lose these existing files". Uninstalling doesn't affect your own data files, and if it did, you've have them in your backups, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

READ THIS: Download Adobe Creative Suite 3 products

Not only is this NOT a despicable ploy as you put it, it's proof that Adobe was being honest when it introduced activation. They are providing a new installer that does not require activation.

That said, CS3 is not supported under Windows 10. You are completely on your own here.

As the other have alluded to, you've given us zero information on how CS6 comes into play here, but that too is unsupported under Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else I just thought of...what are the system specs of that machine and how exactly did Windows 10 get on there? If that machine originally ran Vista it has to be nearing 10 years old and if those operating system upgrades were done in place, I would have very little confidence in how well anything would run on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nohlan  wrote

Thanks for your response.  I am still using the same computer - PC 64-bit with Windows, but the CS3 was loaded when I had Vista rather than the current Windows 10 Home Version 1709. 

The general rule of thumb is that old software will continue to work on old operating systems.

Installing a new operating system (especially a much newer operating system) may break it, so research needs to be done before doing the upgrade instead of after the fact. A quick Google search of CS3 and Windows 10 would have given you the clues that you were about to get into trouble. You may be able to get CS3 installed and activated, but may find that it is no longer reliable in Windows 10.

You can't blame 10-year-old software for not working with current operating systems. I have 28-year-old software that hasn't worked in quite a few of the past operating systems.

It is rather amazing that you were able to put Windows 10 onto a 10-year-old computer. I hope it's backed up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nohlan  wrote

In a despicable ploy to drive new sales, Adobe has locked me out of my old reliable CS3 program, preventing me from accessing over a decade of important files.

Are you still using the same computer with the same operating system that you had when you installed CS3 ten years ago? And then it suddenly stopped working? Please give details as to the computer specs and the operationg system.

What do you mean by "locked you out"? Is that what the error message says?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines