Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring settings/keyboards/workspaces to a new computer

Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving my world onto a new computer....

I see photoshop has added a useful import/export presets that makes photoshop easy on a new computer. But no sign of the same in indesign... why on eath I'd need it in one app and not all is beyond me.

So do I have to start digging around in my library folders on the old adobe "where ar the prefrences" quest?

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a useful feature in InDesign. Your best way of having it happen is to make a feature request on the InDesign User Voice where product managers see it and users can vote for it:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Neal,

if you like to transfer your InDesign preferences from a Windows 10 computer to another Windows 10 computer, rename or remove the Version 16 folder of the new computer and simply copy the Version 16.0 folder from the path below from the old machine to the same path of your new machine:

[UserName] > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > InDesign >

The method above will not transfer csf files for color management or PDF export joboptions files. It also does not transfer customized keyboard shortcut sets.

That is working very well. Did that recently with about 60 students at University to broadcast my settings to all for a specific InDesign course. The same thing can be done with Mac OS machines, however the path is a bit different.

To find the right path on Mac OS and the right Version 16 folder open the Scripts panel in InDesign, select the User folder in the Scripts panel and do View in Finder. In the Finder go up three folders in the folder hierarchy and you have your Version 16.0 folder that contains all your preferences.

FWIW: If you are on InDesign 2020 it's the Version 15.0 folder, when on InDesign 2019 it's the Version 14.0 folder etc.pp.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines