Highlighted

Trick for avoiding pages with only one line of text?

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm laying out a novel, and it's happening occassionally where there will be only a single line of text on the last page of a chapter. Are there any tricks to avoiding this without altering the aesthetic of the layout/font/leading/etc.?

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JonathanArias | Adobe Community Professional

Are you using keep together options in your  paragraph styles?

Topics

How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trick for avoiding pages with only one line of text?

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm laying out a novel, and it's happening occassionally where there will be only a single line of text on the last page of a chapter. Are there any tricks to avoiding this without altering the aesthetic of the layout/font/leading/etc.?

Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by JonathanArias | Adobe Community Professional

Topics

How to, Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seemed to do the trick. Fiddling around with the "Keep Options" didn't shorten the chapter, but at least it spread out the text so there wasn't just a mostly blank, last page. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiment with some minus tracking to take back text in certain paragraphs in earlier parts of the text.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create at least three versions of body text, plus all variations of body text (like if there’s a style for the 1st paragraph in a chapter or drop caps). So I’ll have Body Copy, Body Copy tight, and Body Copy loose. The only difference is adjustments in the Justification settings for each chapter. The Tight version should buy me a line in a long paragraph or half a line in a short one. The Loose version will usually take a paragraph with one word on the last line and spread it out to remove the widow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines