Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Print document to PDF on Indesign

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am trying to print my portfolio to a regular PDF to post to a website. My portfolio is 58 pages and keeps showing a error everytime i try to save as a regular PDF and when I try to export to PDF. Any

suggestions would be really helpful.

Stops flattening image by the last couple pages and shows this error.Stops flattening image by the last couple pages and shows this error.2nd Step2nd StepMy first stepMy first step

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

As Derek suggests use Export not Print. For Web display export to sRGB with transparency flattened—the Output panel’s Compatability and Destination should be this:

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

This is a PDF/X-4 in Firefox on the right and ID on the left—there are both transparency and color problems:

Screen Shot 21.png

And this is flattened sRGB, Whether there is stitching depends on how the reader application or browser anti-aliases the tile edges. There’s no visible stitching in this example in any of my OSX browsers:

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved your post over from the poorly named Community Help forum, which is for getting help using this forum system, to a better forum, Indesign

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not Print to PDF, use the InDesign Adobe PDF presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek suggests use Export not Print. For Web display export to sRGB with transparency flattened—the Output panel’s Compatability and Destination should be this:

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you flatten the transparency? That would result in stitching and for a screen view PDF, would not be at all ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because some browsers can not display complex live transparency or profiled CMYK correctly, so if the destination is the web dumbing down the PDF to all sRGB color with no live transparency is the safest approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a PDF/X-4 in Firefox on the right and ID on the left—there are both transparency and color problems:

Screen Shot 21.png

And this is flattened sRGB, Whether there is stitching depends on how the reader application or browser anti-aliases the tile edges. There’s no visible stitching in this example in any of my OSX browsers:

Screen Shot 22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting error messsages upon export to PDF? If so, there may be a corrupt file placed somewhere. To find it, you can go to Window> Output> Preflight, if there are no error messages, try File> Package> Report, if that doesn't help, divide & conquer by exporting half of your pages at a time, until you can isolate the offending page(s), then open, re-save and update the links on that page until the error message is gone.

In addition, you will need to decide how large your final PDF will be, you probably won't be able to make a 58 page PDF with nice high-res images small enough to email, on the other hand you don't need to make it several gigs either. Downsampling to 300 ppi upon export might be a good compromise, and optimizing it in Acrobat should also help reduce the final size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

I hope your issue is resolved already but in case you need more assistance please reply to this thread. 

Else, if any of the solutions above helped, please confirm. 

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines