• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble printing a pdf (from Indesign) with the transparency of a PSD placed.

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! This is my problem:
I created a drawing in PSD with no background, therefore transparent. I placed it in an InDesign file with a dark background that I need to print. But, when I made a first printing proof, I can actually see the drawing frame. So it is like the transparent area seems to have like a tiny percentage of white, since still dark but lighter than the background in InDesign.

When I use the eyedropper in InDesign and click on the drawing frame area, it says it is white, while if I select the frame with the Selection tool, it says transparent. I don't know if that's ok.

One more point: my original CMYK colors in Photoshop have different color codes in Indesign. That can affect, even if a little bit, the print result.

Please, I really cannot find a way out... any suggestion? Thanks!

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

The application Color Pickers don’t necessarily show you the image or document output values. It looks like your CMYK PSD and InDesign document have conflicting CMYK profile assignments, which would likely cause different values at output. To get accurate output values use Photoshop’s Info panel and InDesign’s Separation Preview.

Also, you might consider leaving the PSD as RGB—you’ve made the conversion to CMYK in Photoshop, but the same conversion can be made from InDesign either at export or

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_0635.JPGSchermata 2021-03-26 alle 11.12.29.pngSchermata 2021-03-26 alle 11.11.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Ok sorry! I just saw the difference in colors was really like nothing! 😄 I got distracted from the code instead of the percentage! 
So no big deal at all! :-)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application Color Pickers don’t necessarily show you the image or document output values. It looks like your CMYK PSD and InDesign document have conflicting CMYK profile assignments, which would likely cause different values at output. To get accurate output values use Photoshop’s Info panel and InDesign’s Separation Preview.

Also, you might consider leaving the PSD as RGB—you’ve made the conversion to CMYK in Photoshop, but the same conversion can be made from InDesign either at export or print. In this case the only reason for converting to CMYK in Photoshop would be if you wanted a custom black build (i.e. 0|0|0|100) that you can’t get from a regular conversion to CMYK, but you are not doing that.

So here the image is RGB and Photoshop’s Info panel set to Actual Color shows 0|0|0 RGB

b0.png

If I place the RGB file and set my Proof Setup to the document’s assigned CMYK profile, the Separation Preview shows the CMYK output values I will get on a PDF Export to Document CMYK:

b1.png

The output values of the image and the background, which are both 0|0|0 RGB match:

b2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help with colors! 

By the way, I imported the file with a transparent background, as in the picture here... so, do you think the issue with color would affect the print problem either way?

Schermata 2021-03-26 alle 15.23.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there’s any transparency on the page, the document’s Transparency Blend Space can affect the output values.

In my example where the placed art is RGB, the blend space would not have an affect—both the PSD and InDesign RGB blacks will convert the same—doesn’t matter whether the blend space is RGB or CMYK.

If you choose to convert the PSD to CMYK in Photoshop and use a CMYK background in InDesign, you’ll need the blend space to be CMYK, and make sure the CMYK profiles used in Photoshop and InDesign match, otherwise the original CMYK values might change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! Transparency Blend Space is in CMYK. PSD, Indesign, and final PDF files are all in CMYK - ad all Coated Fogra39, as requested from the Printing shop. 

Thanks again 🙂

I try one different printer before getting crazier... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines