Highlighted

Trouble Renaming Groups/Objects InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the InDesign 15.0.1 and I am having trouble renaming Groups and Objects in my documents.  

I have to click the Group/Object at least 5 times for the option to change the name appears.  It's extremely frustrating.  Is there a way to fix that?  Or a way to create a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trouble Renaming Groups/Objects InDesign

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with the InDesign 15.0.1 and I am having trouble renaming Groups and Objects in my documents.  

I have to click the Group/Object at least 5 times for the option to change the name appears.  It's extremely frustrating.  Is there a way to fix that?  Or a way to create a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 31, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not having that problem on my MacBook Pro with Catalina. Running InDesign 2020 15.0.1.

I'd try restoring your InDesign preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/setting-preferences.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Layer panel to rename your objects. Select the object, and then click over the text on the layer panel to name it. See the movie below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c64gnfxz2p5egih/screen%20recording%202020-01-01%20at%206.26.59%20am.mov?dl...

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed that you were naming the object/group in the Layers panel. That's what I do successfully, as Manan suggested. Try that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to change the group/object name by clicking on it within the
layers panel but only if I double click five or six times. A standard two
click double click never works. I have to click several times for every
time and it’s very frustrating when I have many items to rename. Is there a
way to create a keyboard shortcut for this action?
--
Darleen J. Shannon
Packaging Designer
Mobile: 406-941-1256
Web: darleenjshannon.myportfolio.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i remember correctly, you just need to do a single click, try that

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 1
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A single click does it in the Layers panel, that's correct.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it’s supposed to work with just a normal click but for some unknown
reason I am having to click many times before i am able to change the name.
I have no issue changing names in other programs like Illustrator or
Photoshop.

Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut for the action? I am guessing
there is not since no one is answering my question directly.
--
Darleen J. Shannon
Packaging Designer
Mobile: 406-941-1256
Web: darleenjshannon.myportfolio.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darleen,

We are sorry that you are having trouble, but we have added all information that we could to help sort out the issue. I will summarize it below

• The feature should work with a single click, and as tested works fine for us on the latest version of InDesign. I tested it on a MAC, if this is something that you notice only on WIN or some particular machine/OS configuration let us know
  • You could try trashing InDesign preferences as Steve mentioned.
  • As far as i know there is no shortcut that is available for this or if it can be assigned. Someone can add this information if needed
  • If nothing works we can create a simple script and assign it a key combination, which when pressed will pop up a window asking for the name of the selected object.

In a nutshell for now we can't conclude that this is a bug as its working for us so it should work for you as well, trashing preferences, reinstalling etc should be tried before looking for a workaround.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still haven't told us what operating system you're using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this issue on a new work PC while adapting from the familiarity of my home Mac. Instead of repeatedly clicking the layer name, which did eventually work, just click the name once and let your cursor hover over it for a second. The name will then open up for edits and save you a lot of clicking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0