Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trouble with text disappearing when changing settings

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peoples

im having a very frustrating thing happen with my body text, so I have a layout of text boxes, and when I turn hyphenation off its fine if the font size is 11 or smaller but when I size up to 12 most of the text disappears, but when I turn hyphenation back on the text comes back.

What am I doing wrong?

Video attached to see what I'm talking about 

I'm running the latest Indesign 2021 (16.0)

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

I can't read the text at that zoom level, but my best guess is that if you look in the story editor, you will find the first word is too long to fit into the text frame at the larger size because it can't hyphenate. This causes it to flow to the next available text frame, which is also too narrow, and so on and so on. To see if this is it, make the text frame wider, or remove some characters from the word. A related reason might be that it's not a single word that's too long, but a string of wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't read the text at that zoom level, but my best guess is that if you look in the story editor, you will find the first word is too long to fit into the text frame at the larger size because it can't hyphenate. This causes it to flow to the next available text frame, which is also too narrow, and so on and so on. To see if this is it, make the text frame wider, or remove some characters from the word. A related reason might be that it's not a single word that's too long, but a string of words that have no-break spaces, which causes InDesign to treat them as a single word.

It could also be the Keep options, but let's see if my first guess is right before we go there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines