Highlighted

Truetype fonts

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it a problem to use a TT font for a document intended for printing?
Some say printers don't like, others say it is not a problem today  .. 
(I would like to use https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Cabin)
Thanks for your answers.
Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant
First, there's nothing inherently wrong with Truetype. Secondly, Google fonts, AFAIK, are Truetype flavored opentype and completely cross platform.

Topics

Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Truetype fonts

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it a problem to use a TT font for a document intended for printing?
Some say printers don't like, others say it is not a problem today  .. 
(I would like to use https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Cabin)
Thanks for your answers.
Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant
First, there's nothing inherently wrong with Truetype. Secondly, Google fonts, AFAIK, are Truetype flavored opentype and completely cross platform.

Topics

Print, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob, provided that the printer you are working with has updated their technology within the last 15 years. That said, I do have suppliers who still have older technology that had issues with Truetype fonts... but they are in the minority.

Ultimately, it's an issue related to older workflows and nowadays it isn't an issue, provided the font is a legitimate font that came from a reliable source).

Nevertheless, it's always great to have constructive dialog with the prepress (NOT sales) department of your printer to determine exactly what their specific requirements are.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines