• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to decide which Adobe program

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of writing and would like to find a program in which I can write new pieces as well as import some of my older stuff -- most of which is in Microsoft Word. I have Creative Cloud and thought I would simply open a new doc in InDesign and begin writing. But then I thought maybe InDesign isn't the right choice?

An example of my stuff to import is a cookbook I wrote for my kids that contains recipes and photos from their childhood as well as a few scans of written recipes. It's now in Word, but I'd like to add a table of contents, index, organize by chapters, etc. In other words, make it into a nice looking book.

I also envision the app I choose to be used as a kind of digital journal which I would use instead of writing in a paper journal.

Should I just stay with MS Word? Or is there a perfect Adobe app? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Create your manuscript in Word and when it's finalised Place it in your InDesign document, where you can add prelims,  images, contents, folios etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create your manuscript in Word and when it's finalised Place it in your InDesign document, where you can add prelims,  images, contents, folios etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. Thanks for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, use the tool that you feel more confortable with,  but if you want to take care more of the design and Layout InDesign is a great tool, Word in my opinion is more for text and basic layout

Regards

E

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I echo this - and what Derek said also.

Use what is good for you. 

Personally, I'd start in something like Word and get the basics text and photos in place.

Then I'd import that into InDesign to do the layout. 

But there's many other ways and no right or wrong way. Just what works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all. One follow-up question, if I may: What software do most publishers use to create regular books -- not necessarily photo books?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines