• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off blue type 1 font message warning

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I turn off the blue message bar at the bottom of my documents stating "Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported starting 2023..." It's maddening and disruptive. I'm using a PC. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

By my recent experience with this, the only way I've found to eliminate the alert, file by file, is to eliminate any Type 1 fonts.

You can do that by either by substituting OpenType (best) or TrueType (not nearly as good) cuts to replace the Type 1 versions used in your document(s), or converting any Type 1 text from fonts to outlined graphics by selecting the type with your Selection/Arrow Tool and using the Type>Create Outlines menu command (a good fix for, say a single headline, but not so

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums).

Please tell us what Adobe application you are using so that this can be moved to the proper forum for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops! InDesign. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to InDesign.

Note: This might be a warning appearing in all Adobe programs editing files that use Type 1 fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By my recent experience with this, the only way I've found to eliminate the alert, file by file, is to eliminate any Type 1 fonts.

You can do that by either by substituting OpenType (best) or TrueType (not nearly as good) cuts to replace the Type 1 versions used in your document(s), or converting any Type 1 text from fonts to outlined graphics by selecting the type with your Selection/Arrow Tool and using the Type>Create Outlines menu command (a good fix for, say a single headline, but not so much for an entire book manuscript).

It looks like Adobe is serious about getting people off the Type 1 Postscript font standard. The only way I know of to get rid of that message is to remove any Type 1 fonts from your InDesign documents. But if you banish them from your work, you won't see the message when you open those files in Adobe applications.

Perhaps you could go back to previous versions of Adobe software (available on Creative Cloud) and avoid the Thick Blue Line, but I haven't tried it.

Sorry I don't have any better news for you. Hope this helps.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming that in fact, eliminating the Type 1 font usage within an InDesign document in fact eliminates the message when opening that particular document.

Note that in lieu of Type 1 fonts, you can use OpenType CFF fonts (CFF => Bezier curves and hints similar to Type 1 fonts), OpenType TTF fonts (TrueType fonts with OpenType features), or the old TrueType fonts. Ultimately you will also be able to use OpenType Variable CFF2 and OpenType Variable TTF fonts as well (right now use of those fonts is “a work in progress” which I personally would not recommend for the time being).

Outlining text is a lousy idea since it degrades quality for both display and print, makes the text no longer editable, and results in PDF content that is not searchable.

Yes, one could go back to previous InDesign versions but of course that has other issues …

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. This is what I'm finding too. Each document and each font has to be updated. Yesterday, something was awry, and the blue box would not disappear after font changes. It would show font changes needed = 0. Today the blue box does disappear after closing and reopening a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Glad we got you past the issue — on one file, anyway.

From here it's just lather-rinse-repeat until you get through your entire document backlog. And of course, not using Type 1 fonts from this point forward. Until you hunt all your old files with Type 1 fonts down, this'll be one of those things you'll occasinally come across, mutter something foul underr your breath and fix until it disappears.

Can I ask a favor of you? Could you mark the answers you find correct? That alerts the moderators to archive and cross-reference this thread, so it'll be shown in the "Related conversations" section below and helps others who have similar issues.

And if you need help in the future, don't hesitate to come back here and sound the alarm. There are lots of sharp folks around here who are happy to help.

Glad you're past the issue. Or at least have the plan for working your way there.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We cannot eliminate one Type 1 font because it is a proprietary logo that must appear throughout the document.

Any further suggestions? That blue alert box is really annoying  AND it covers up part of the active screen on

which we are working.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest trying to turn it back into a graphic logo.

1. Open Adobe Illustrator.
  2. Set font logotype large — like 600 pt, which works out to roughly 8 1/3 inches/30cm tall.
  3. Select it with your Arrow/Selection tool, then choose the Type>Create Outlines menu command. This turns it into a graphic version of the character — no more font information, so no more pesky Type 1 font alert!
  4. Save the new graphic representation of your logo as an Illustrator EPS (*.EPS) file in the Save as Type: options box.
  5. Place it in your InDesign document, print it, and see if you can live with the results. If this works to your satisfaction, you've made a clean getaway.

I know this is a stopgap measure, but you really have a couple of years before this becomes a genuine issue, rather than an irritating annoyance. Hopefully this will get you by right now, and you'll be able to come up with a better solution for the long run.

Hope this works well for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outlining text as suggested by @Randy Hagan might not be a particularly good idea since it can dramatically degrade rendering quality both on screen and print depending upon magnification and level of details in the design.

Typically a logo font is actually owned by the user of the font (i.e., they paid for creation of the logo and the generation of a font from the logo). As such, the simplest thing to do is to losslessly convert the Type 1 font to an OpenType CFF font. I would suggest you check out the TransType 4 product from FontLab https://www.fontlab.com/font-converter/transtype/. It is relatively inexpensive ($97US) and you can use it for a 7 day free trial (wink, wink). This would solve the annoying blue alert box permanently, eliminate your Type 1 font issues, and preserve the quality of your logo.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Back in the old days printing companies wanted you to use Type 1 fonts. InDesign font handng can have issues, [spam link removed by moderator] through no fault of their own. I have hundreds of documents with Type 1 fonts. I tried TransType, but I found it renamed many of my fonts. I spent several days trying to clean up the mess, but with hundreds of Type 1 fonts we own, it would take a long time. Looks like it'll be a better use of time to buy some new otf  font packages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines