turning off spreads

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have a 400 page doc (200 double sided cards) that i am trying to convert from spreads to single pages, so i can have proper bleed and crop marks. the whole doc is based off a master

when i turn off facing pages, it deletes all my pages on the left side and combines their text with the page on the right, how can i properly seperate without changing

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Risa5C95 You write, "so i can have proper bleed and crop marks" but this will be accomplished when you export the document to a PDF through the panel settings in your preset. You can select output to single pages, not spreads. Let us know if that is what you are looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your issue.

Ideally, you should have started this document as single-page document, and create a master page for each side. (e.g. "A" could be the front and "B' can be the back side.

But it sounds like it was created as if it was to be a saddle-stitched book, with a facing-page master page.

The big issue converting that now is all your converted single pages become based on one side of the master, as opposed to alternating. This you've experienced.

What you need to do is separate your pages a different way. Unfortunately you have a large docuemnt so doing it manually would be time consuming, but fortunately a script exists: If it's not in your Scripts > Community folder already, you can download it from here (scroll down near the bottom) and install it into your InDesign Scripts folder: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/50479/indesign-page-bleed-with-pictures-spanning-o....

More precisely, here: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/a/89608

This will break your file into separate pages, butr keep the left and right orientation.

You will still have to fix bleeds on a page by page basis if necessary, but this is the easiest way to accomplish what you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course the issue is why people design things this way when at the export/PDF stage you can do what you like with your facing pages. But you don't want to hear that now! Personally in your case when I have been sent spreads that need to be single pages, Acrobat has been my friend - I've duplicated the file, saved them as left / right rpages, cropped them accordingly and added cropmarks/bleed, and deleted the others, then merged them in Acrobat. It's a faff, especially with a large document, but it's only the merging part that will take any time. The rest will take seconds, once you get your head around the crop settings you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share a screenshot of your Pages Panel?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the sense that the issue isn't really about marks, but rather actually creating the bleeds at the "spine."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines