• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type Tool deselecting itself after few seconds when using shortcut (MAC)

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is driving me insane because i use it all the time.

When i use the shortcut "T", the type tool is selected and with it the top menu switches as it should BUT after about 2 secons everything just switches back to what ever tool i had before (and so does the menu).

When i try to be faster than the reversion and try to klick a text window, it doesnt work. So it looks like it is not even really switching to the tool but just showing the interface change before going back. Also when i restart my mac or update indesign (or change versions) sometimes fixes the issue for about 10 - 20 minutes. Just restarting Indesign doesnt help.

This started some versions ago and has not been fixed in 15.1.1 yet.

I did the usual troubleshooting too.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac 10.15.5 and InDesign 15.0.3, and not experiencing this issue.

Tell us what you mean by "the usual troubleshooting". Did you specifically delete the preferences and cache? If not, work through the last section in this post: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also on OS 10.15.5 but am few Indesign versions later (15.1.1) so its possible that this issue got re-enabled sometime between 15.0.3 and 15.1.

Yes with "the usual troubleshooting" i meant deleting the cache, deleting the pref folder, creating a new file to see if its tied to the file, restarting everything, turning off other apps (or dont start them in the first plasse).

I just cleared the cache again with the key combination and noticed that this seems to fix the problem for some time. This time it was about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Same here, and it's also driving me insane. Can't believe this bug has been around for two months at least, and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded InDesign today and the bug remains. It's driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have launched InDesign v15.1.2

We'd appreciate if you can update your app to the latest version and share if you still have these issues.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.. sadly not.

It worked for about 1 day after the update but just a moment ago it switched back to killing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15.1.2 user here. Windows 10 pro

For files with little sizes i do not have this problem but whenever i work on a large file i suffer the same problem.

Type tool works if i go and click on it at left toolbar. But tool deselects itself if i press the shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I've been experiencing this for quite some time. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so i think adobe is not gonna help us here, so lets help ourselfs.

Maybe you can replicate this and we can find a solution together:

1. When i have my document open and it does the deselecting thing, i noticed that other things are also reacting slow. Example: On a content rich page, when i have the Properties panel (Window -> Properties) visible while clicking on different objects (like a text frame) it takes 1-2 seconds for the properties panel to show me the available properties. Same goes for the control bar (Window -> Control).

2. When i create a new document while the old one is open, i can see a big difference in reaction time when clicking on text frames or objects in the new document (after creating some stuff). Also in the new document, the self-deselecting of the type tool is GONE! But it stays present in the old docuemnt next to it.

Video:

First i show the slow reaction time when clicking differnet things than i show the self-deselecting of the type tool via shortcut T several times (i press T and wait for it to deselect itself, than i press T again). Than i show slow reaction when creating a new document. In the new document i show faster reaction when clicking objects and i show the  type tool shortcut working as intended:

Please let me know if its the same for you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just discovered this thread. I've been experiencing this problem for years. I'm on InDesign 16.1 now and it is still an issue. I'm including a screen recording of the glitch in action. I am pressing T when my cursor temporarily changes to the type tool. Everything else happens on it's own. You can see in the toolbar where it switches back and forth after pressing T. Like the user said above, if I try to click before it toggles back to my previous tool, it acts like the previous tool - so the cursor doesn't ever actually change to the type tool - it only briefly appears to do so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem: when i press T cursors changes to type tool only for a few seconds and then it goes back to selection tool on its own. Also, the one that annoys me the most is that every time i go into text object i get like a 1-2 second freeze, everything just stops working. But if i open new document, copy any text object from "corrupted" file, everzthing works smooth, no Type tool bug either.

**This happens in all files my co-worker sends me. He is working in CS6 and i'm currently using InDesign 15.1.3.**

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at 16.3 on Win 10. No problem for me. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't happen on new files, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a trigger. I will say, I've only experienced this issue in rather large documents with 20 or more pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here.

Happens usually with bigger files for years now - but certainly can happen also, working on a completely new file, having a big project open on another tab. (So this maybe means that, it's not related to the file you´re currently working on or any corruption.)

The workaround is easy but annyoing - "simply dont use the shortcut -.-" - you have to manually click the type tool from your toolbox with your mouse to make it active, at least that works for me 100% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, problem with type tool is still not fixed. I've experenced this since few years ago. 

One thing I've realized is that this issue happens mostly when I work with file that was shared from someone. 

It is killing me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines