Typeface appears uniform in digital but is different weights when printed

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relative newbie to InDesign here; thanks for your assistance. I've got a simple InDesign document that I've converted to PDF. When viewed in ID and in the PDF, the typeface looks perfectly uniform throughout. Yet when I print the document, some sections of the text are heavier than other sections:

text3.JPG

(I turned it sideways to emphasize the weight; red dots indicate lines that are heavier.) I checked every variable I know of but so far the only thing changing from line to line is the kerning - everythng else appears to be exactly the same (color is uniformly black, 13pt font, all Constantina regular).  Any ideas why this might happen? Thank you!  

TOPICS
Print, Publish online, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the PDF file on Creative Cloud or Dropbox or some other service so others can download and test? (You can't upload a PDF file in our forum.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if you have any glyph scaling applied:

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the text fill is all the same black—0|0|0|100 CMYK is a different black than 0|0|0 RGB? The heavier weight black looks like it is printing as a 4-colors—there seems to be a magenta fringe on the edges of the text. Is there any transparency on the spread?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LL Tool J AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all - apologes for the delay in replying back info on my own post!  And thanks for the questions. I actually saved it as a High Quality Print format, in Adobe 9.0 version and higher, and the different font weights went away.  No clue what caused it but once I saved it for 9.0 and above, the issue went away. Never look back... 🙂  Thanks again.

LL 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines