Unable to create text in frames that go above the margins

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Just changed my margins in a book. Now I can't create any text in frames that go above the new margin (but ok left of margin). In other words, I can't create any headers.

At least I think this is the problem!

If I create a text frame within the margins, and type in it, all is ok. If I then drag the frame up, the text disappears and I get an overset marker on the frame border.

Help!

Chris.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to, Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021
Is the text set to align on the baseline? Is there a large baseline offset or is the baselinegrid set to margins instead of page? (look at your grids and guides preferences). If so change the preference to Page and offset zero OR make sure your headline is not aligned to the baselinegrid.

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. That's not a typical experience with the application. I would request if you could share a few screenshots or a small video of the issue.  Also, please share which OS and version of InDesign is this.

All this information will help us replicate this issue and help you accordingly.

Regards,

Srishti

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a frame nearby with text wrap enabled? Check the pasteboard above the document. It sounds like you are bumping up against something.

~Barb

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text set to align on the baseline? Is there a large baseline offset or is the baselinegrid set to margins instead of page? (look at your grids and guides preferences). If so change the preference to Page and offset zero OR make sure your headline is not aligned to the baselinegrid.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your input.

Frans has it! I had also set up my body (default) style to align to baseline grid, which is limited to within the margins. If I create a new para style without this setting, the problem goes away.

What a relief!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear 😉

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines