• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete object that is part of a 2 obects group that is placed inside a text frame

Enthusiast ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning and Happy New Year to you all 🙂

I have placed 2 grouped objects pasted inside a text frame.
“Group1” contains 2 objecets and “Group 2” contains 3 objects.

Unable-to-Delete-Object.jpg

When selcting with the “Direct Selection Tool” one of the objects in “Group1” It can’t be deleted. It can be copied, edited etc, but not to be cut or deleted.

Doing the same on “Group 2” will allow only to delete the 3rd object (any of them). Once it becomes a 2 object group It won’t let delete any of the the 2 remaining objects.

This happens only when the groups are pasted inside a text frame.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

The InDesign file can be d/l here.

Mac Pro, OS 10.14.6, InDesign Middle Eastern Version 2021 16.0.1.109

Thank you,
Shlomit

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your group 2 looks like it is on the Master page (dotted lines)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem like some kind of corruption or maybe a version 16 bug? I tried saving it as an IDML and still could not delete the text frame. If I cut the entire anchored group and paste outside of the text so it is no longer an anchored object, I can delete the text frame.

Also I can delete it via scripting. Try selecting the text frame and run this script:

app.activeDocument.selection[0].remove();

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/a165243f-1470-4cc9-69dc-1a05bd6ffa33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does seem like a bug. I tried creating a new document in CC2020 with a similar anchored group and could not delete the text frame inside of the group. Also, if I select and try the Edit>Clear menu item the entire group temporarily disappears, and then reappears when I toggle the layers on and off.

Also tried in CS6 and got the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it only happens with 2 item groups. If I add a rectangle to group 1 I can delete the text frame inside, but after removing the text frame I cannot delete the added recangle:

Screen Shot 7.png

The yellow rectangle will not delete after deleting the text frame

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still wonder about the dotted line in the screenshot for the frame...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans, The group indicator is a dashed line, which looks similar to a master page item’s dotted line (left). 

Screen Shot 11.png

You can download @Shlomit Heymann ’s example here—it doesn’t contain any master page items

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht17iqvlon75u8b/Unable%20to%20Delete%20Object.indd.zip?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry, still a bit hung over, did not read that well... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

if you try to remove an item in a group of two items the "group-status" itself is removed from the left over item.

If the group is anchored this cannot not happen. That it can be done by scripting is no news for me. If you remove an item by scripting of a group of two items the group status is still intact. A group of one item remains.

This is no bug at all, I think.

To "transform" a group to "nothing" because the number of remaining objects is just one item, can only be done if the group is not nested in another structure. Nested like as anchored object, a group is grouped inside another group, a group that is pasted inside a graphic frame. A group that is inside a button's state or a state of a multistate object.

FWIW: That's nothing new.

You could also see this behavior in e.g. InDesign CS3 or CS4 or even before.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That it can be done by scripting is no news for me. If you remove an item by scripting of a group of two items the group status is still intact. A group of one item remains.

Hi Uwe, Yes I’m also seeing the behaviour back to CS6. I don’t understand why scripting allows the removal, but the UI doesn’t—shouldn’t there at least be a warning or explanation dialog?

Also, when the object is selected the Cut and Clear menu items are available, they just don’t work—seems like they should be grayed out. If I choose Clear I temporarily get this:

Screen Shot 12.png

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

Thank you for all your replies. I have read all your naswers and I too, think that either this is a bug or not a good behaviour especially when the options of Cut and Clear are not grayed out when selecting the object and if it can be done with a script. 

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Shlomit,

the thing is: when using InDesign's graphical user interface it's hard to impossible to create a group of one single object.

By scripting you can do this easily.

FWIW: You could do a bug report or a feature request:

It should be possible to remove all but one object in anchored group so that the group container still remains.

After all its the group container that has all the information about its anchor status.

A result that I created by scripting showing the Layers panel below.

A group of two objects on the page:

GroupOfTwoObjects-1.PNG

One object removed by GUI; the group container is removed automatically together with the red ellipse.

Just the rectangle is left:

GroupOfTwoObjects-2.PNG

One object removed by script, the group container is still intact:

GroupOfTwoObjects-3.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines