• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to open files from recent file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I startup InDesign CC, there is a window "Recent". No matter on what file I click, I receive the same message:

"Either the file does not exist, you do not have permission, or the file may be in use by another application."

It appears even when I have opened and saved to file just a few seconds ago.

When I use the "Open" button on the left, or when I open the file from the (Mac) Finder, there is no problem at all (I use Mac OS Mojave).

What can be the problem? I had an online chat with Adobe, but they could not solve it.

Looking forward to any reactions.

Wil Tirion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Yesterday (March 15) I was finally able to solve the problem after a session with Rahul of the Adobe support team.

He suggested that I copy one of the problem files to all the folders that appear in the path. So I did and I found that the problem was in the name of a few folders, where I used a slash ( / ). I removed the slashes and replaced it by dashes ( - ).

Problem solved!

Sometimes things are easier than you would expect.

Wil Tirion

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system (exactly)? Check permissions for the location of the file using the method appropriate for your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the newest version (14.0.1 just downloaded last Friday) and I use MacOS Mojave 10.14.2. I already checked the permissions and they are all right. The strange thing is that I can open the files without any problem from the Finder and from the "Open" button in the opening window of InDesign. But not from the "Recent" list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover over one of the thumbnails in your "Recents," a note will popup showing where InDesign "thinks" your file is located.

If you're creating files and saving them on one part of your hard drive and then you move the files afterwards, InDesign cannot find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that. But the shown location is correct. Once again, using the 'Open' button on the left opens the same file without problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Resetting Preferences? Set preferences in Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did that and restarted InDesign. I opened a file (using the Open button on the left) saved it again and tried to open it from the Recent list. Still the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wil,

Sorry to hear about the issue. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Srishti,

I already tried all that. But I am convinced that the files or the locations are not the problem. When a file does not open from the list under Recent Files, and I go to the InDesign menu (File > Open Recent) there is nothing wrong. It opens.

I tried that with all files in the list that give the error message. Using the menu (>File >Open Recent) they all open.

In the Preferences > General > I now unchecked the button 'Show "Start" Workspace...' and open recent files from the menu.

Wil Tirion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday (March 15) I was finally able to solve the problem after a session with Rahul of the Adobe support team.

He suggested that I copy one of the problem files to all the folders that appear in the path. So I did and I found that the problem was in the name of a few folders, where I used a slash ( / ). I removed the slashes and replaced it by dashes ( - ).

Problem solved!

Sometimes things are easier than you would expect.

Wil Tirion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was having the same issue of files not opening from Recents in the Dashboard. This is not isolated to the folder names only but the file names themselves. I had most of my files with dates such as 06/23/20. Unfortunately this too would cause the file not to open from the Dashboard. Again, the fix was to remove all forward slashes (/) from any and all file names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines