Highlighted

unable to open files in indesign created from previous version

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error message when trying to open any files in Indesign 20 that I created in the 2019 version. I can't find any clue as to why this is happening. I can open newer files.

The error mesage is saying file does not exist, I don't have permission or in use by another application. 

None of which are true.

I'm on Windows 10 and all up to date as far as I'm aware.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

What if you double click the file in Explorer or right click and choose open with?

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

unable to open files in indesign created from previous version

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error message when trying to open any files in Indesign 20 that I created in the 2019 version. I can't find any clue as to why this is happening. I can open newer files.

The error mesage is saying file does not exist, I don't have permission or in use by another application. 

None of which are true.

I'm on Windows 10 and all up to date as far as I'm aware.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

What if you double click the file in Explorer or right click and choose open with?

Topics

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the 2019 docs in InDesign 2019 and Save As IDML and see if you can open them in InDesign 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already uninstalled the 2019 version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not reinstall 2019? It's still part of the subscription. The do as Derek suggested.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because I don't want to add to my issues by potentially not being able to see my other files that I currently can see. I don't know what Derek is saying is a proven fix, so i'd prefer to try and fix without reinstalling 19/uninstalling20 (becuase you cant do one without doing the other). If its a definite fix for my issue then fine but I was waiting to see if there were any other suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I would try in order, checking each step:

1. I would try is deleting my complete ID preferences.
  2. I would try 2019 as a test. It's a 5-10 minute test. If it doesn't work, uninstall 2019. You can have multiple versions installed at once--you don't have to uninstall 2020.
  3. Try uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not what is says when I try to install 2019! sorry tried to atatched a screen grab of the message. but basically its says it will uninstall 20 and all the recent updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a moot poin, but...

You are probably trying to install v15, which is a slightly older version of 2020, so it would uninstall the newer version of 2020. You would need to install v14 to get 2019. The only warning you would get is that it will turn off the auto-update functions. 

The only issue with having multiple versions installed is you really can't double-click on files in the desktop/explorer window, since it could open the "wrong" version.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhh...that makes sense. I'll try that if I get anymore issues. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they in a Dropbox folder by any chance?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't use dropbox. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The error mesage is saying file does not exist, I don't have permission or in use by another application."

A common cause of that message is the existence of a "lock file". It's a (supposed-to-be) temporary file that is automatically written when a file is open. Sometimes when a file isn't closed properly due to a crash or other reason, the lock file doesn't get deleted like it should. This usually doesn't affect "many" files, but it's worth trying the following:

Shut down InDesign, search the folder where your documents are stored for  *.idlk and delete all files found. Launch a fresh InDesign session and try to open one of the trouble files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think a lock file would keep it from opening as a converted file.

The reason I asked about Dropbox is because it now can store files as cloud only that still show up in Explorer, but they take too long to download sometimes and that can cause this error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't think a lock file would keep it from opening as a converted file."

Could be a good point. In a case like this, I'd still do the search and get rid of any lock files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same error and making the file local instead of on on the cloud fixed it for me thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no idlk file on my system at all. thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not my system is recognising the .indd files properly as they are showing with blank icons in the file manager. Having said that, thats the same for the 2020 versions and I can open them from InDesign 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! doh.....yep they open! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that solve the original problem of not being able to open 2019 files, both from the desktop and from InDesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of. I can double click the indd file from my file manager, which opens the doc in version 20 and then I can resave the file and then I am able to open it from within version 20 without getting an error message.

So a its a work around.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2019 files does have to be resaved in the newer 2020 format anyway, so I would say it's working as expected. I would change the file name slightly and not overwrite the 2019 file as a precaution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks will do. Thanks for everyones help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines