• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to renumber endnotes in indd CC 2019

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Word doc with 310 endnotes (in continuous numbering) that need to be auto-renumbered in inDesign CC 2019 to begin at "1" every chapter. I've set section breaks for every chapter and followed tutorial guidelines for settings, including changing the numbering mode in Text>Endnote Options to "Restart Every Story," but the numbers remain continuous throughout. As an FYI, when I convert endnotes to footnotes, they correctly renumber per chapter, but returning them to endnotes converts them back to continuous numbering. Does anyone have a solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Indesign can start endnote numbering at each section. I think you have to separate the doc into separate stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

you are right. With endnote numbering it's either Continous or Restart Every Story.

From my German InDesign, Endnote Options showing:

EndnotesOptions-RestartNumberingWithEveryStory.png

A Story is an enitiy of consecutive texts running in threaded text frames ( and/or text paths ).

Or with a single text frame or text path.

A story is not a section of texts. So special character SECTION MARKER will not split text into several stories.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it works with footnotes that way.

I think the reason you can't do this with endnotes is more pragmatic: yes, it should be simple to restart the numbering. But all endnotes still appear together at the very end of the story!  And then you'd have several sets of notes 1., 2., 3., ..., 1., 2., 3.,  and so on.

It must be the same reason the other footnote option  "Restart every spread" is not available for endnotes.

Conclusion: footnotes and endnotes are two different things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D  wrote

But it works with footnotes that way.…

No.

Restart numbering every section for footnotes are for sections done in the Pages panel. That are page sections, not sections inside a story. Not sections devided by special character SECTION MARKER, the one that comes with e.g. a Word import.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jongware seems to be right when he says, 'And then you'd have several sets of notes 1., 2., 3., ..., 1., 2., 3.,  and so on'.

That seems to be how you end up and there does not seem to be any easy way you can transfer each set of endnotes.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines