Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Underline text without cutting descender

Enthusiast ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I would like to know if it is possible to have the underlining of a text not cutting the descender of letters.

For example, if I underline example, here in the forum, the line stops just before the p's descender and starts again just after it. In my InDesign document using the Academico font it is not working like this.

Is it a characteristic of the font itself or is there some other option I could play with?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

It's all in the screen shot. 

Add a stroke to the underlined text, colored white (see the Swatch Pallet image to see how)

To set up the Character Style, define only the stroke color and size, and set the underline to ON.  

That way, you can apply the underline and the text stroke at once.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.15.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.15.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a workaround for you. Set up and Underline Character style, and include a thin white stroke on the text (size of the stroke depends on your type size) 

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 2.05.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result looks amazing.

Could you please showme the steps to get there? 

I am quite new to InDesign.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's all in the screen shot. 

Add a stroke to the underlined text, colored white (see the Swatch Pallet image to see how)

To set up the Character Style, define only the stroke color and size, and set the underline to ON.  

That way, you can apply the underline and the text stroke at once.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.15.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-14 at 3.15.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines