Exit

Underlining ordinal numerals interrupts line

Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

please look at the attached picture.

I am writing in English language and so ordinal numbers have the apex abbreviation (3rd, 4th, 5th etc...).

The issue is that when I underline that portion of text the line interrupts and follows the text above. 

How can I get the "normal" result I can get in programs such as MS Word? 

Thank you very much

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

No, you are not missing anything at all. Not all fonts have OpenType features, and those that do may not support this particular function, in whole or in part.

It's a bummer because if it did, it would have solved your problem: the feature, implemented correctly, would replace the "th" (and "st" and "nd") after a digit with glyphs that are already drawn to scale. That means InDesign would not need ro "manually" make the font smaller and move the digits up – which is why the underline is off.

Not

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

I solved this by creating a character style variation from my previous "Underlined" style. 

As the line would be based on an apex character, I shifted the baseline down of 5.20pt and gave it something like 0.6pt of thickness. After the right amount of cursing I found the right values. 

It looks seemless now. 

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot readily identify this font – can you check if it has an OpenType feature called "ordinals", and if so, whether it does something when applied to your "4th", "5th" and

so on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select that portion of the text and then click on the O in the lower right, I get this:

"OpenType properties are not applicable"

The font is Academico.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have then tried to edit the Paragraph Style by activating the OpenType feature > Ordinals ... but no luck ... am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you are not missing anything at all. Not all fonts have OpenType features, and those that do may not support this particular function, in whole or in part.

It's a bummer because if it did, it would have solved your problem: the feature, implemented correctly, would replace the "th" (and "st" and "nd") after a digit with glyphs that are already drawn to scale. That means InDesign would not need ro "manually" make the font smaller and move the digits up – which is why the underline is off.

Not behind my InDesign at the moment but you could try using "Horizontal Scale" and "Vertical Scale" to make the type smaller, and "Shift Baseline" to move them up a bit. This is slightly different than a standard Superscript and if you"re lucky it leaves the underline as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solved this by creating a character style variation from my previous "Underlined" style. 

As the line would be based on an apex character, I shifted the baseline down of 5.20pt and gave it something like 0.6pt of thickness. After the right amount of cursing I found the right values. 

It looks seemless now. 

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines