Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unexpected page break

Advisor ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 15.1.3, Windows 7.0 on corporate life-support

Making better progress than anticipated in this first experiment with InDesign, but now I'm puzzled. I have two tables, with no 'keep' settings as far as I'm aware, and they refuse to sit on the same page. I've attached the small file in question, and would welcome advice and enlightenment.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

delete the break character as in my screenshot

Schermata 2021-02-16 alle 11.02.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

delete the break character as in my screenshot

Schermata 2021-02-16 alle 11.02.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FieryPantone:

Glad to hear that it is going well. Your Fm skills definitely transfer over. A few more tips as you make the transition:

• Work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled so that you can see the various characters. While Fm has about 10, InDesign has a lot. This is a very handy reference: 
    https://creativepro.com/downloads/guide_specialchars-2012.pdf
  • InDesign uses break characters as well as Keep settings on the paragraph styles
  • Find/change is really powerful compared to Fm—if this happens regularly, you can Find the break character and replace with a ¶. You can also save frequently-used queries to reuse quickly.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vladan– thanks for the tip! Questions that start with "Why …" are often impossible to answer, so I've no idea how any break characters ended up there :-}

@Barb– no, no: not a transition! I'm just here on a visit. Thanks for the tip about (and link to) the plethora of special characters and the Show hidden characters option: worth it for visible text variables alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I've no idea how any break characters ended up there...

These break character may come from the text placed from Word file

(take a look to the screenshot)

Schermata 2021-02-16 alle 16.45.11.pngor someone has inserted these break character in your Indesign file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just here on a visit! 😂

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Vladan – the .docx I imported into Indesign had been generated by another program, so perhaps that's where the unwanted break character arrived as an attempt to keep table content together. Never mind! you've alerted me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines