• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected "figure spaces"

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some headers I am finding "figure spaces" added to the end of lines even though I've never asked for them.  I can see them using the "view invisible characters" function.

The really weird part is that

1) I can't select or delete them

2) They don't seem to actually add space.

3) They seem to be breaking my TOC entries by adding extra tabs or extra newlines.

So for instance I might have something that looks like:

"Transfers#"

where the # character is the icon for the figure space invisible character. See the image below.

drew-mills_1-1592422456274.png

Any ideas where these are coming from and how I can get rid of them?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Hi - the character that you can see is just an end-of-text indicator - it's not a space or any printable character. It just indicates that there is no more text after that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - the character that you can see is just an end-of-text indicator - it's not a space or any printable character. It just indicates that there is no more text after that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @drew-mills,

To hide these "invisible" characters in InDesign, you need to check the hidden characters setting.

Click on Type in the main menu bar and then turn off Show Hidden Characters.

Or you turn on Overprint Preview in menu: View.

-------------------

But for me these markers are very important. In my documents I always turn on Type --> Show Hidden Characters. There is a toggle Shortcut for that [Alt]+[Cmd/Strg]+[I]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! The # character (end of story) looks almost identical to the # , (the figure space character). Thanks for straightening that up for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines