Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown hidden character

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hidden_character.jpg

Hi, I have a memory lapse: I cannot remember what is this hidden character (the £ sign)…

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

No, this is not anchored objects but empty text variables. I think I understand what happens: this £ sign is displayed when the text variable is empty and disappears when it is not. There is a problem with the script that does not pick up any more the metadata. I will contact the author. Edit: problem solved by resetting preferences.

Thanks everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to get via a script—select the character and run this:

var p=app.activeDocument.selection[0].properties.contents;  
alert("Selection:" + p.toString()) 

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

the poblem is that the screen capture has been sent to me by one of our users and that I cannot reproduce the same behaviour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jmlevy,

never seen that in one of my InDesign documents.

Could be something a 3rd-party plug-in injected.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, no third party plugin.

But I think that there is someting wrong on the user machine, I will tell him to rebuild preferences. I have asked some of my experts friends and they too cannot recognize this character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That character does not show up in the list of hidden characters found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/editing-text.html. So I think that JM's and/or Uwe's assessments that it is from a third party or a result of some corruption is most likely correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill,

I did not even think to have a look at the help on line. Shame on me! Thanks everybody for all your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it’s an anchor, which normally is the Yen currency symbol? Could the anchor invisible change to the pound currency symbol depending on the installed language?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, even in the French version, the anchored frames are also shown with the Yen currency symbol.

Normally, the text in this frame is automatically generated with 2 text variables based on a custom script which picks up the magazine trigram and the issue number from our editorial workflow tool metadata.

When I open the very same file that the user on my machine, all is correct.

I think that the tried to manually change the text in the InDesign file while the correct way is to change metadata in the editorial workflow tool, but that does not explain this strange character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There do seem to be some corresponding anchored objects in your capture. Are they supposed to be there?:

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, this is not anchored objects but empty text variables. I think I understand what happens: this £ sign is displayed when the text variable is empty and disappears when it is not. There is a problem with the script that does not pick up any more the metadata. I will contact the author. Edit: problem solved by resetting preferences.

Thanks everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines