• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unnecessary Overset Text

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with InDesign and since the latest update to version 16.1 I have had all of my text boxes, in every file behave strangely. When I type in new text, it automatically jumps out of the box and becomes overset. In some cases I can change this in Story Editor, or by copying and pasting the hidden character for a return, but not in all cases.
As you can see from the screenshot, the text frame has ample room, and yet there is still overset text.

• Adobe Indesign Creative Cloud version 16.1 (I've tried rolling back the update, it didn't help)
  • Windows 10 PC, Version 10.0.19041
  • Basic Paragraph style
  • Text frame set to "Ignore Text Wrap"
  • Screenshot 2021-02-26 134147.jpg
TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

It looks like you are adding column breaks here and there. In InDesign, the Enter key on the main part of the keyboard will create a hard return (¶) but the Enter key on the numeric keypad will create a column break (a down pointing ^).

It's best to work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled so you can see them and remove them. Was that the issue?

~Barb

keyboard mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that last bit of text have a no-break attribute applied to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried applying the "no-break" attribute, it helps sometimes, but the next time I hit return for a new paragraph the new text is overset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want to not have the no-break attribute applied. It keeps all contiguous text with no-break applied on the same line. This will cause overset it the resulting string of characters is too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it's currently not set to no-break. I've tried it both ways. When I set it to no-break the whole paragraph disappears, but when I turn the no-break feature off the paragraph returns to visible, including the overset text.

But then the next paragraph becomes overset...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a Wrap applied to a nearby object? (Possibly an object hidden by your Story Efitor?) If yes, go to Object > Text Frame Options and check Ignore Text Wrap to the lower left in the window and click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, there are no other objects on top of or near abutting the frame. As I noted in my post, the frame is already set to "Ignore Text Wrap".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you share your file with us (dropbox or similar) or just the page that presents the problem you have described?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I hit a keystroke somewhere along the way that caused a setting to change. I just can't find the way to set it back.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akoy4utBrdgXv0rHUjy9md228Qhs?e=EaCkBA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you are adding column breaks here and there. In InDesign, the Enter key on the main part of the keyboard will create a hard return (¶) but the Enter key on the numeric keypad will create a column break (a down pointing ^).

It's best to work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled so you can see them and remove them. Was that the issue?

~Barb

keyboard mac.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This appears to be the problem. I don't use column breaks so I've changed the setting for the Enter key on my numeric keypad in my keyboard shortcuts.

I can't imagine how I have never encountered this problem before. I've used the same keyboard set up for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still puzzling over this—the layout you linked to is different from the file you are showing. And in your file, there is a hard return after Food & Catering Options, but in the file you linked to, it's a line break (as described above).

~Barb 

breaks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had continued to work on the document after posting the initial screenshot. I had found a workaround prior to your solution. I would copy and paste the appropriate hidden character where I needed it in order to correct the overset text. Thanks for your help, it seems to be working properly now.

I still have no idea why I haven't encountered this before. My keyboard setup and habits have not changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi There, 

I'm having the exact same problem, but am not clear on how you resolved it. Were you inadvertently entering column breaks? I've checked my text by showing invisible characters and there are no column breaks, just hard returns (I've also tried soft returns) so I'm hoping that it was something else. Which "appropriate hidden character" did you copy and paste that solved your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines