• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unusual spacing between arabic characters

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im using the ME version of indesign, and have an english document that i would like to change to arabic when i go to insert an arabic text box and enter text, i get spaces appearing inbetween each character.

The language for the text box is in arabic, along with the paragraph style - Adobe world ready composer selected. single line and paragraph, doesn't make a difference.

If i create a new document and place the same copy in, it appears correctly with no spacing.arabic text.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Good day Richard. I do suspect the Kerning setting in your document, make sure your Kerning is set to "Metrics" not "Optical"

kerning.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Richard. I do suspect the Kerning setting in your document, make sure your Kerning is set to "Metrics" not "Optical"

kerning.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 16.10.28.png

This thread was the closest thing I could find to what is happening to my Arabic typesetting. For the first time I have come across this weird type spacing issue. 

Text was copied from a PDF file. Placed into an Arabic text box with all the parameters assigned yet still the letters are not connecting properly. 

Any suggestions??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you apply a different font to your text, say Adobe Arabic? I downloaded Frutiger LT Arabic 55 Roman, did some tests but couldn't replicate the issue on my InDesign.

It is possible that copying text from a PDF corrupted the text and spacing! What happens when you copy from PDF and paste in a word processor application such as MS. Word (Windows), or Text Edit (Mac)?

Here are suggestions that may affect your text, from the Character panel fly-out menu, choose both (tick mark beside them)

• Ligatures
  • Kashidas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Arabic RegularUsing Adobe Arabic Regular

Interestingly the same flaw seems to happen with a change of font. 

I suspect the issue has arisen somewhere from copying the text from the PDF and then placing it into InDesign.
I had asked the client to resupply the text in a Word Document and it placed correctly.

Not entirely sure what it is - but seems the program has issues with relaying the correct letter connections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that you got the Word document and was able to use the text from it properly, right? If this is the case, then definitely the PDF was the culprit : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello everyone
for anyone who has the same problem with farsi or arabic fonts or anyother fonts, first open your characters panel and then click on those three lines at the top right corner then choose "System Layout" instead of "Fractional Widths"
this should solve your problem

Cheers

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines