• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unwanted fonts are activated

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using four of the 30 plus Garamond Premier Pro fonts in an Indesign document. I have activated only these four. The entire family constantly appears in the character menu. How can I avoid the tedium of scanning past the unwanted fonts, and of having the wrong font appear as the default in "Find/Replace fonts"?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeat:

For doing an experiment on my side I do need exact list of Garamonf font that you need, all other I will be kill and try to repeat your situation. Give me the 4 fonts name that you are really need and 3 names that I need to kill (as I see - 7 Garamonds now in the your indd example). 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Garamond Regular, which I do not want to use and did not activate. 

But you are use it! Kill it all instances!

2021-05-14_22-40-06.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did! After I killed it. And it still shows up. So do the Display versions, which I don't use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you believe it!

Snag_47c337.png

2021-05-14_22-48-57.png

 

2021-05-14_22-51-24.png

 

2021-05-14_22-52-00.png

 

2021-05-14_22-53-03.png

 

2021-05-14_22-54-08.png

 

Are you want to kill some Garamond Premier too?

P.S. Killing windows fonts isn't so good if you kill some system fonts - don't forget to return Garamond "usual" back after your works (IMHO).

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize I don't know what you mean by "killing" fonts. I was just deactivating them in Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone through the find/replace font task every time I open the document. Then I save, after I've changed them to the fotns I want. If the fonts are NOT activated in Creative Cloud, why are they showing up again and again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look into my screenshots! I do find 2 versions of Garamond in the system fonts folder. After doing as I show you is that what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> why are they showing up again and again?

My morning post here says:

Did you check fonts list in your OS, InDesign fonts folder or InDesign package folder? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to find a fonts list in the operating system or the Indesign fonts folder. I looked in the system fonts folder; there are many fonts there, but none of the ones in the document. None of the Garamond fonts appear in the Document fonts folder. Instead there is an AdobeFnt22.lst document which apparently lists all of the Adobe fonts.

I appreciate your efforts, but I'm giving up. I'll just keep struggling with the annoying font list and the constant reappearance of unactivated fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  there are many fonts there, but none of the ones in the document. 

It is normal behavior. All system folder fonts shows in the ID. Do as I show you - delete all the garamond instances from system folder c:\windows\fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do not appear in the fonts folder in the system. I did a search for c:\windows\fonts and nothing appeared.

Thanks, but I don't want to spend any more on this problem which apparently does not have a solution. I've done exactly what you suggested, and it recurs. Now you say it's normal behavior. If activating inactive, undesired fonts that have been deactivated is normal behavior, it's an abnormal decison on the part of the Indesign developers. So is including all the Burmese fonts (truly a stupid idea). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is normal behavior if you really have them in system fonts folder (as I was have, for example). As you see I don't have them now. 

>> I did a search for c:\windows\fonts and nothing appeared.

What if your search isn't works? Check by your eyes all the fonts on "G" first character.

>> I don't know where to find ... the Indesign fonts folder. 

Snag_7830fb.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do repeat for you an image - 

Geоrge_0-1621024945404.png

Are you check like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Well I did find some garamond fonts in a fonts folder, including  the regular that I don't want so i deleted it But most of theGaramond Medium fonts 

are not there. Thanks for your attempts, but I don't want to spend any more time on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> including  the regular that I don't want so i deleted it

There is small victory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do come back system fonts (yellow color). Here my Garamond list with your indd (as you can see there is no any Garamond Medium here)

2021-05-15_0-06-41.png

Show me your list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  on this problem which apparently does not have a solution. 

I don't think so! You can only see fonts that you want:

2021-05-15_0-14-28.png

I think you are still have some fonts "somewhere". To clear your problem you can use it some font manager. Font managers usually can show you all the system fonts more clearly and you can uninstall them.

There is an image below shows you Corel Font Manager (just for example, 14 days trial is here - https://www.coreldraw.com/en/pages/font-manager/ )

2021-05-15_0-23-54.png

 Or try trial of this - https://www.extensis.com/suitcase-fusion or of some other analogue soft.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Suitcase Fusion. Since these fonts are activated via Creative Cloud, they don't appear in Suitcase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any Garamond Medium in CC-Fonts. Check all the lists in your Suitcase and delete/uninstall "Garamond Medium"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one thing more. Not always name of the font file contains his real name. Try to search as here - 

2021-05-15_0-39-14.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this? I'm using a MAC. I've never seen it. Here is the Garamond Medium in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! Mac! And you don't say it. 

Let's start from the middle of our talks. You are kill garamond regular (great!), what of garamond fonts you are see now in ID. Show the list from InDesign and mark fonts you are want to not have in the list. Show here! I'm ask you this before few times already.

And you are not so clear was before. Garamond Premium Medium isn't a Garamond Medium! 

Garamond Premium Medium is a part of Garamond PREMIUM. Let me check this/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here we go! You are not kill "medium" in your publication! How can you deactivate if you have it in? 

2021-05-15_1-26-05.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More right example for you - 

2021-05-15_1-33-04.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-05-15_1-34-41.png

 

2021-05-15_1-35-07.png

2021-05-15_1-35-41.png

Save your indd after that, close and open again

2021-05-15_1-36-39.png

Profit!

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines