Highlighted

Unwanted microthin white lines along the edges of the colour fills in imported illustrator files

Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indesign white lines.png

I'm getting these unwanted microthin white lines along the edges of the colour fills in my imported illustrator file in Indesign CC 2020. When I export is as a jpeg, these white lines don't show up, resulting in a perfect output. What should I do to fix this trouble?

I think it's a display tweak in InDesign that would surely help me out.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Also, if I put a rectangle filled with blue behind the art, the anti-aliasing display artifacts go away:

Screen Shot 24.pngScreen Shot 25.png

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unwanted microthin white lines along the edges of the colour fills in imported illustrator files

Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indesign white lines.png

I'm getting these unwanted microthin white lines along the edges of the colour fills in my imported illustrator file in Indesign CC 2020. When I export is as a jpeg, these white lines don't show up, resulting in a perfect output. What should I do to fix this trouble?

I think it's a display tweak in InDesign that would surely help me out.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by rob day | Adobe Community Professional

Also, if I put a rectangle filled with blue behind the art, the anti-aliasing display artifacts go away:

Screen Shot 24.pngScreen Shot 25.png

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These lines are probably not there. They're not showing up in exported file. Have you tried exporting as a PDF just to see if the lines show up? I doubt they will.

Are you viewing your screen using high performance (View > Display Performance > High Quality Display)? Have you tried unchecking GPU Performance in Preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lines are showing in pdf. This is surprising. I opened pdf in chrome, adobe acrobat and nitro pdf reader. Everywhere white lines show up! On the other hand the jpeg exports are absolutely fine! Seems like a bug in Indesign? Many people have been facing this trouble for years. I tried the old trick of flattening my work in Illustrator but I still get white lines. 

The display performance is of course high quality. GPU performance setting isn't available in InDesign. 

Checking upon nvidia button in the windows 10 taskbar tray in bottom right, InDesign isn't using GPU acceleration. 

indes 2.png

INDESIGN GPU CHECK.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be duplicated shapes that are stacked on top of each other in the art file. Open graphic in Illustrator, and with the direct selection tool select a shape and move or delete, and see if there is an underlying shape.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no duplicate shapes stacked over one another. I checked. If that was the case, then the exports would also come with white lines. Exports are coming fine. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What were the PDF settings in the Illustrator file? Make sure it's saved with PDF-X/4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't do any settings in the illustrator file. I imported the direct .ai file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the .AI file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. 

You can download the file from here. 

https://www73.zippyshare.com/v/K7CZvGXS/file.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link wants me to install a plugin.

Can you share via your CC acount? If you put it in your Creative Cloud Files folder and right click, you should get a Share Link option, or you can go to your Creative Cloud web page and get the link there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's an ad popup that's bothering you. 

Try here. It's a dropbox link. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvm9q2b24ll2krm/grohl%20test.ai?dl=0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0
Guide ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this just a display artefact? I know that in Acrobat (Preferences under Page Display, deselect the option "Smooth Line Art") there's a setting to fix this, but I am unsure about InDesign.

Can you save to a PDF, then open in Acrobat and activate that setting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Engaged ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find the option of "Smooth Line Art". I toggled with enhance thin lines which didn't make any difference to the output. 

I am using the latest version of Acrobat .

The pdf display setting is not the issue, otherwise the file would have showed up fine in chrome, nitro pdf, etc. It is still showing with white lines which means that the pdf itself has corruption of lines which disappears in jpeg outputs from InDesign. 

acrobat options.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0