• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted Read-only files driving me mad!

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use three iMac computers running OS High Sierra.

We are running InDesign CC 2020 15.0.2

The three computers are networked with the InDesign files stored on one computer. 

We have used this same setup for over a decade, but recently, one of the computers started creating read only files whenever it saved an InDesign file. That file can be reopened and worked on fine and normal on that particular computer, but when the other two computers try to open the file, it will be a read-only. This requires us to save the final under a new name (which removes the 'read-only') then delete the old file. 

Usually, (or should I say previously) InDesign wouldn't let us open a file when one of the other computers had it open. But now, when the computer with the read-only problem has a file open, it doesn't show up as an .idlk file on the other machines, so it allows us to open up the already open file on another machince. You can imagine the probelms this creates. 

We have updated InDesign versions several times, and it makes no difference.

Help!

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would search for this in the network/user setup in the System preferences.

This is basically my longstanding network issue. When my colleague puts (or saves) files into my public folder, they are always write protected, sometimes I can't even open them. Since this doesn't happen too often, I was too lazy to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ Monika: this might have to do with you not being the owner of the file being copied into your folder. This is a Mac (even Unix) phenomena, not an Adobe issue. use the Info panel to change the privileges of all enclosed files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most of the applications (especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop) Adobe doesn't support any kind of direct use of network files, or files on removable media. That said, if it does work, you've been lucky ! So any change in network topology, or system or application versions might invoke mayhem – it might go worse, in stead of better...

I know, it's bad news, but that's what it is.

Like Monika also mentioned: it's a long-standing issue.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1434968-editing-adobe-files-directly-on-a-network-volume-shar...

And believe me: Adobe applications which do support network or cloud-based opening or even collaboration, are running into far more problems...

Note: since Mac OS Catalina, Apple is getting much stricter on letting applications change files or settings without your consent. Look under the System Preferences for the Security & Privacy settings, and see which privileges are allowed for InDesign. But that's just your InDesign on your Mac. I wouldn't know how to tell InDesign to behave on some one else's Mac...

Schermafbeelding 2020-05-28 om 10.49.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines