• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating links in bulk when only the extension has changed (from .jpg to .tif)?

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks. I have an Indesign document which was only ever intended to be used digitally. As such all images are RGB in .jpg format.

Client has now decided to have the document printed, which is quite straightforward to do, and I ran a Photoshop batch conversion of all 244 images from RGB .jpg to CMYK .tif.

All my JPEG files are in a folder called 'Linked (JPG)' and the TIF files are in another folder called 'Linked (TIF)'.

Problem is, I need to bulk update all 244 images to read the .tif version instead of the .jpg version.

I can't see any way to do this from the interface but was wondering if there's some way around having to update 244 images manually (possibly by Applescript)?

I'm using a MacBook Pro (2019) running Big Sur 11.3.1. Adobe Indesign is v16.1.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi there,

why not convert to CMYK on PDF export?  (See Output-Tab on Export)

No need for creating duplicate files and all the relinking madness (which could be easily done via the links panel menu and Relink with folder)...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

why not convert to CMYK on PDF export?  (See Output-Tab on Export)

No need for creating duplicate files and all the relinking madness (which could be easily done via the links panel menu and Relink with folder)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thanks for the heads-up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Client has now decided to have the document printed, which is quite straightforward to do, and I ran a Photoshop batch conversion of all 244 images from RGB .jpg to CMYK .tif.

But why? You absolutely do not need to do that. You just have to export your file to PDF using the right CMYK profile and the conversion will be done…
But if you really want to do this, go to the links panel and in the drop down menu, you will find this (it is in French, but I am sure that you will understand)
Capture d’écran 2021-05-05 à 15.47.53.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-05-05 à 15.47.42.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads-up - you and Jens Trost hit the nail on the head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
With a modern workflow this is not only a waste of time but could actually result in degraded image quality. The only concern I would have is that the JPGs are of high enough resolution for print output.

If those RGB JPGs are properly tagged, you can export a PDF/X-4 file and let the printer do their job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines