• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating margins in book format - does anyone know of a workaround?

Participant ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my book function, I base each new chapter on a template and I have synced all chapters. The sync is set to include master pages.

I changed the margins in chapter 1 (which is the style source) according to Barb's description here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resizing-primary-text-frame/td-p/9792204?page=1

This was easy since the primary text frame autocorrects to the changes. But in the other chapters, this is not the case, since the A-master sync has changed all of the chapters. I'm looking for a way to at least make the updating of margins automatic on a chapter level. I might have to change my margins again, and I have to go through hundreds of pages dragging boxes manually.

So did anyone find a way of updating margins in book function files?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon:

I think you have exposed a weakness in syncing formatting across a book: you can sync master pages but you cannot sync the auto-adjust controls. Even turning them on in advance, and then syncing, idoesn't move the text on the body pages. I tried a number of different approaches, including object styles and liquid layout without success. Perhaps a scripter can give a hand—or maybe another one of us will see what I'm missing—but I'm stumped.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again for your many answers to my questions Barb!

In this case, I'm curious because it seems to be a very simple thing and at the same time, I would think many writers change their margin at some point. Maybe this is less typical than I think because some/many/most do things differently from the way I have moved forward. It seems to me that if I had not synced Master pages, then I would have at least been able to auto-adjust margins for one chapter at a time instead of for one page at a time. So maybe that's a lesson learned: be careful syncing master pages in the book function(!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Simon:

Personally, I ensure that my clients sign off on paper size, margins and columns for the first chapter of a book prior to laying out the subsequent chapters. I've never had to update those properties for multiple chapters in a book, so I've never encounted this IRL. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines