Highlighted

Updating Table of Contents deletes my destination hyperlink text anchors

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

I am having an issue with the 'Update Table of Contents' command. When I select it to update the Table of contents in my document, this action deletes any text anchors or booksmarks that I have manually added, even though they are not related to the table of contents in anyway. It seems that any text anchors are linked to the Table of Contents in some way even though they are not part of the Table of content.

If I choose not to Replace existing table and a new one the text anchors are fine but when I delete the old one the text anchors are removed anyway so that also doesn't help.

I do need the bookmarks generated by the table of contents too, so deselecting that option is not an option.

How can I keep these text anchors and update my table of contents? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

We are always happy to help, Karyn.

Here's an idea—add a manual TOC title to the top of the TOC in its own frame, and remove "Contents" from the Title text box in the Table of Contents dialog. That way, when you update your TOC, InDesign is just updating the body of the TOC and will leave your heading alone.

~Barb 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Updating Table of Contents deletes my destination hyperlink text anchors

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

I am having an issue with the 'Update Table of Contents' command. When I select it to update the Table of contents in my document, this action deletes any text anchors or booksmarks that I have manually added, even though they are not related to the table of contents in anyway. It seems that any text anchors are linked to the Table of Contents in some way even though they are not part of the Table of content.

If I choose not to Replace existing table and a new one the text anchors are fine but when I delete the old one the text anchors are removed anyway so that also doesn't help.

I do need the bookmarks generated by the table of contents too, so deselecting that option is not an option.

How can I keep these text anchors and update my table of contents? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Here's an idea—add a manual TOC title to the top of the TOC in its own frame, and remove "Contents" from the Title text box in the Table of Contents dialog. That way, when you update your TOC, InDesign is just updating the body of the TOC and will leave your heading alone.

~Barb 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where exactly are you adding these text anchors or bookmarks—in the body of the document or in the TOC? The rule is "don't edit generated content" (i.e., TOC or index) because InDesign will overwrite the edits when you update.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

It was the contents heading of the table of contents that was the anchor so that was probably the issue!

Thanks so much. 

I really appreciate the quick reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Barb

That's exactly what I did. Works perfectly now 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 1
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrific!

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2020 0