• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Urgent Help! Linked images have "disappeared" into the pasteboard somewhere!

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 2.42.50 PM.pngPanic Mode! I need an InDesign expert! After running a CC Update and reopening an InDesign file, half of my linked images have now "disappeared" into the pasteboard somewhere. In the image above, the tiny cyan square in the middle of the spread shows where my linked image apparently is (see the links panel on the right), but it's registering as on the pasteboard, and I can't grab it or resize it or anything. About half the ads in my 240 page document are "gone" like this... does anyone know what happened and how to fix it??? PLEASE?????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try exporting to IDML and opening that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine: IMDL Export "sort of" helped a bit... now I can at least see the images (at least some), but they are still oriented as if they were aligned to the top left of the page. Not on every spread, and not every image. It's very haphazard and with no rhyme or reason. Notice how one ad is off the pasteboard to the upper left corner, along with the folios? But the other ads are exactly where they should be.Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 3.37.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also:

You tried resizing it using the Control panel, right? The X, Y, W, and H are all 0.

Try also copy and paste to a new document.

And what happens if you place a fresh copy of the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane-e (nice Twin Peaks reference!): I can't resize them because I can't actually adjust the image at all. If I select it, and even just nudge it with the arrows, I get the "this would cause the object to leave the pasteboard" dialog box. I could probably replace all the images with fresh copies, but I'm under a tight deadline and there are literally hundreds.@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kymbix

kymbix (to Jane Edwards) 56 minutes ago

Jane-e (nice Twin Peaks reference!):

kymbix —I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I just saw that it is on Amazon Prime, so I put it on my watch list. My first name is Jane and my last name starts with E.

I am thinking you need to report this as a bug to catch the attention of the Adobe engineers. This shouldn't have happened, and it's a little horrifying to think that opening it in 2018 caused it. Maybe they can see what happened.

You don't have a back up that you can open in an earlier version, do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I don't.

It wasn't just opening it in 2018. I had successfully used the file just this morning! But I received a file that was created in InDesign v13, (where I was still running v12), and when I clicked "convert" to make it openable as an .idml file, Creative Cloud Installer started running an automatic update. After the update was through, that's when all the problems started. InDesign had been running REALLY poorly the last couple weeks though... constantly freezing, and I'd have to relaunch it two or three times to get it to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is no small detail that you left out.

Why didn't you open the file in CC2018 to begin with? Where is the original CC2018 file?

Install CC2018 and open that file in that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't InDesign CC that updated, it was the Creative Cloud Installer. The file I'm working with was created in InDesign CC v12 (2017) and I'm still using InDesign CC v12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine: IMDL Export "sort of" helped a bit... now I can at least see the images (at least some), but they are still oriented as if they were aligned to the top left of the page. Not on every spread, and not every image. It's very haphazard and with no rhyme or reason. Notice how one ad is off the pasteboard to the upper left corner, along with the folios? But the other ads are exactly where they should be.

Jane-e (nice Twin Peaks reference!): I can't resize them because I can't actually adjust the image at all. If I select it, and even just nudge it with the arrows, I get the "this would cause the object to leave the pasteboard" dialog box. I could probably replace all the images with fresh copies, but I'm under a tight deadline and there are literally hundreds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kymbix ,

before doing anything, save your document to a new file name with "Save As".

Try to select the shrunk items only.

Copy them to the clipboard.

Add a new, empty spread with two facing pages after the spread where you see the problem.

Make that your active spread.

Do "Paste In Place".

If that works select all the other stuff and transfer it to the new spread as well.

Remove the damaged spread.

Do a "Save As" again and work on through all the damaged spreads.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things keep getting curiouser and curiouser. Now that I'm trying to manually repair everything, it appears that something occurred where a few linked images were selected at random, and they "grew" vertically so that they took over several spreads (as oriented in the pages panel). Because those linked images were text wrapped, they knocked out some of the images above them... or something like that. It isn't the only problem, but it appears to be one of the problems. I have no idea what happened, but it was definitely a glitch of sorts. I got a flash of a warning dialog when the Creative Cloud Installer was updating that said something was corrupt, but it was there and gone so quickly I couldn't see what it was warning me about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kymbix ,

did you try the steps I suggested in answer #6 ?

Also: Did you restart your machine?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did... no luck. The best workaround I've found so far was Bob's suggestion to export to IDML.... which, although it restored most of the links, scrambled and resized a bunch of things, and created bizarrely huge object frames where there should be none. It's not ideal, but I can at least have something to work from as I go through and manually repair all..... 242.... pages.... Please send coffee!

I appreciate everyone's help. Ugh, this is why I never run updates midway through a big project! I don't know how or why the update decided to run itself (I can only assume that the file I was sent that started this whole mess was, itself, corrupt). It's not a death sentence... just kind of a big pain in the rump. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sending coffee, beer, and sympathy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has just happened to me as well. 

About to send a 128 page journal off to the printers. Have been working on it for months with no problems. 

Went to package the document and over half the images have disappeared. The ones that are gone are all on the pasteboard - in the Links panel these images list PB instead of a page number.  

I'm running Indesgn 15.1.1 and OSX 10.15.6

Any help would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexander,

did the images disapear in the packaged InDesign document only?

How about the IDML file that is written with that? Can you open it successfully and the images are still available on the pages?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laubender, 

Thanks for the reply. 

I ended up replacing all the images that were deleted myself. I did try exporting the corrupt file to IDML. The images were all there but distorted - in strange shapes and positions. 

The easiest solution seemed to be just re-doing all the work. 

Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same thing happen. Most (but not all) of the images on a spread have vanished into the PB and appear as a single selection point in the center of the spread. When I view in non-preview there is a giant green blob covering the page and pasteboard that's not selectable. InDesign 16.0.1 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: Saving as .idml and reopening 'pulled' all the PB items out and dropped them in the top left corner. Something is corrupting the positional info for these images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines