Highlighted

URGENT InDesign hyperlink help, for COVID 19 project

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to link to an Excel file which will be shared globally? Ie, I need to embed the file, not follow the link of the file path which was used to create the link on my hard drive.

Many thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

URGENT InDesign hyperlink help, for COVID 19 project

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to link to an Excel file which will be shared globally? Ie, I need to embed the file, not follow the link of the file path which was used to create the link on my hard drive.

Many thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess not. I tried linking to an excel file, exported an interactive PDF, tried my button – boom: Excel lauches. I was kind of confident the export-option to "form and media: embedd" will embed the excel file. But as I renamed the file on my hdd, the link was broken.

Only option I see is to save the excelfile onto a google-drive or a hosting cloudservice. But Im afraid you need your PDF to be stand-alone, not requiring the internet…

Another thing: You can add PDFs into excel. If you assume the people to have Excel, why not the other way round?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to share the file with those reading your PDF, you can attach the Excel file wholly into the PDF. The Online Help on this suggests that you can even add a link to it: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/links-attachments-pdfs.html#link_to_a_file_attachment

This is not an InDesign feature, so if you want to explore this path further, please ask in the Acrobat forum at https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/bd-p/acrobat

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One workaround which may work for you is to deploy your PDF and its relevant associated files in a single folder, rather than as an attachment to the PDF.

When I was doing self-paced training courses, I'd pack PDF lessons in separate folders, then link them to associated files in the same folder. That's not the same as an attached file to a PDF, of course. But by placing the PDF and the linked file(s) in the same folder, then establishing the links, the file references would be relative links within the folder rather than absolute links to a file loaction on a system, network or cloud drive. Then I could simply copy the entire folder onto a removable drive and maintain the relative link.

You may want to experiment with this, and offer a zipped file folder rather than a PDF with an attachment. If you do this, you probably want to include a readme file explaining how important it is to keep everything inside the same expanded folder for things to work correctly.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines