Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

URGENT, not able to save Indesign

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community

In a very frustrated situation, been working for 3 days and believed I kept saving my work. But when I finally was finishing I realized it did not save. The old saved file I has in my finder is same version as when I started 3 days ago. I was even able to open it, and it opens as a new doc with same file name. However the one I have been working on nothing happens with.

I tried save, save as, export, but nothing happens, Not even a window coming up for export or save settings. I made a screenrecording to show: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1i7ua13e6wbdno/Indesign%20not%20saving.mov?dl=0

Any ideas what I can do? Deadline in 4h....so cant start over again...

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Looking at your video, you seem to have an InDesign application corruption. When you Save or Save As, the naming dialogue box should appear. If it doesn't appear, you are not saving the changes to the document.
Possibly resetting the InDesign preferences will sort this matter out for future documents, but you need to do some testing to see if it's been resolved. In any case, in future you need to save reguarly incrementally named copies of documents (name1a.inddd, name1b.indd and so on) to clear

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your video, you seem to have an InDesign application corruption. When you Save or Save As, the naming dialogue box should appear. If it doesn't appear, you are not saving the changes to the document.
Possibly resetting the InDesign preferences will sort this matter out for future documents, but you need to do some testing to see if it's been resolved. In any case, in future you need to save reguarly incrementally named copies of documents (name1a.inddd, name1b.indd and so on) to clear out the crud that builds up in InDesign documents over time. Also, save copies externally (on an external disk and/or the cloud), so you have back-up versions and can work with the document on another computer if your original computer is not available for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for feedback. I was luckily able to "publish online" and then download the PDF. So I ll just have to keep my InDesign open and not restart until all is complete. Then try to reset and fix. 

Thanks for your advice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is this third party PDF to InDesign converter (at extra cost) : https://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/?gclid=CjwKCAiAi_D_BRApEiwASslbJzv6_ZInJXBrPgrQdWeQ0m4UslAP...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed by resetting preferences. If not, please try the suggestions shared on this page ( https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behavior-of-indesign... ) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for your problems, but it is absolutely necessary to save documents with a regular increment to your file name. I use b-z, and aa-zz, incrementing every time I make a major change. Saving to the same document removes the ability to go back when a new design doesn't pan out, it preserves hidden errors in the document, and it expects Adobe to never make a mistake. Your time is worth much more than a larger storage drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines