Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using a different script location in InDesign

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is a bit of a random question, but is there a way of having the Scripts Panel in Indesign reference something different to this path?

<<C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign 2021\Scripts\Scripts Panel\Samples\JavaScript>>

We are in the process of applying some strict security rules that stops users reading and writing to the Program Files folders, however, we know that for the Adobe products like InDesign and Illustrator, to run a script, it has to be from that path - and Indesign reads that location.

Before we look at folder exceptions, I want to see if we can point it somewhere else. 

Cheers

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac

I created a folder on my desktop.

I then copied it as a shortcut to the scripts folder.

I copied a script into the Test Folder on the desktop.

It shows up flawlessly in the Scripts Panel and works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac I work with symlinks.

They exists on Windows as well:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

But I don't know if it works the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"… we know that for the Adobe products like InDesign and Illustrator, to run a script, it has to be from that path"

Wrong. At least if you consider InDesign.

Open the Scripts Panel in InDesign. There you see the User folder. By default it's empty.

Store your scripts there. Also in subfolders if you like.

To open the User folder of the Scripts panel in your files and folder system simply use the option "Show in Explorer" from the Scripts panel. I'm on a German InDesign so for InDesign 2021 this is the path to that folder:

C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 16.0\de_DE\Scripts\Scripts Panel

To see the AppData folder in your user folder you have to check that invisible files and folders can be seen.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another note for Windows 10:

If your basic installation of InDesign from the IT would contain an "alias" folder, you can make all scripts available from that folder through the application for all users on that machine.

A warning:

If you do point updates InDesign, 16.2 to 16.3 for example, that alias will not make it. Instead the update process will resolve the alias folder and copies the original folder with its contents.

At least that happens with "alias" folders in the User folder of the Scripts panel, in the file system that is the Scripts panel folder with the path I gave in my reply above.

So before you update save and remove your InDesign Preferences in your user folder; later, after the update restore your Scripts panel folder in your user folder together with some preferences perhaps.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines