• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Anchored Objects

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to have an anchored object to the back of the text?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Sort of, but it's limited. Here's a screenshot of the same text with an anchor in three settings:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 4.03.30 PM.png

The three colors of text are different paragraphs. The yellow frame is the anchored object. In all three, the anchor is in it's own paragraph as an inline/above line anchor. The first has auto leading,  so it fits between paragraphs. The second I have dragged it down, and it places the anchored object behind the text. The third I have set the leading of the paragraph with the anchor to zero, so it re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The back? Do you mean can you anchor a frame to the bottom of a paragraph? Or are you referring to stacking order—so that the anchored frame is sitting underneath the text it is anchored to? Anchored frames always pop above the text they are anchored to, even if they start out underneath. 

If  you can share a screen shot, maybe we help you achieve the look you are after another way.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like the anchored object to be behind the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of, but it's limited. Here's a screenshot of the same text with an anchor in three settings:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 4.03.30 PM.png

The three colors of text are different paragraphs. The yellow frame is the anchored object. In all three, the anchor is in it's own paragraph as an inline/above line anchor. The first has auto leading,  so it fits between paragraphs. The second I have dragged it down, and it places the anchored object behind the text. The third I have set the leading of the paragraph with the anchor to zero, so it removes the space between the cyan and magenta paragraphs, but the anchor is above the text.

This doesn't work with custom anchors, which are more flexible, and you can get some more play if you use baseline shift, but overall, I don't think this is a very good workflow outside of a very limited scope. Maybe a better way would involve saving a copy after all of the tweaks are done and move the object out of the anchor and behind the text as a freestanding object, but whether that's practical really depends on the job itself.

Maybe someone knows a better way, so stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your last suggestion will work perfectly for me.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the behaviour of an anchored object is to appear above the text... at least for the moment... but there is a suggestion to fix this: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/34501561-an...

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin,

thanks for the link. I already voted more than a year back.

FWIW: I read into the last comments of that feature request:

Seems we now see spam at UserVoice as well.

Flagged the last comment of user TradeFlock as inappropriate.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines