• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using cell style, how to realize that the two side lines of the header are 0, but the middle column

Enthusiast ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using cell style, how to realize that the two side lines of the header are 0, but the middle column line is 0.15mm.

The table body can be controlled by the leftmost column and the rightmost column, but the table header does not seem to have this function

Sample file is here

tab.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Hi 喜狼_edny,

the art of formatting tables with the table options and cell styles is not to define values for cell properties where the table style already defines them and they fit with your design. What you want to do is perfectly possible.

It requires:

1 table style and 3 cell styles

One cell style for the header row

One cell style for all body rows*

One cell style for the footer row

* Could be even optional, but I assume that you'd like to apply different paragraph styles in header, body a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 喜狼_edny,

the art of formatting tables with the table options and cell styles is not to define values for cell properties where the table style already defines them and they fit with your design. What you want to do is perfectly possible.

It requires:

1 table style and 3 cell styles

One cell style for the header row

One cell style for all body rows*

One cell style for the footer row

* Could be even optional, but I assume that you'd like to apply different paragraph styles in header, body and footer cells.

The table style dictates which cell styles are used for the header row, the body rows and the footer row.

The table style defines that there is no stroke around the table.

Tip: If the property of a cell is defined with the table style do not define it with a cell style if the value is the same.

Some screenshots from my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10:

CustomTableStyle-3-CellStyles-1.PNG

CustomTableStyle-3-CellStyles-2.PNG

CustomTableStyle-3-CellStyles-3.PNG

Download this sample document from my Dropbox account and inspect the table style and the cell styles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zpaphy651n4y60/CustomTableStyle-3-CellStyles-2021.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may now criticize that you need no footer row, but a footer row is required for the thick stroke at the bottom of your table. If you define a minimum height for the footer your design will work.

To define a minimum height:

Set the top and bottom insets of the footer to 0.

Set the applied paragraph style's point size for the footer to 0.1 Pt

That gives you this design where the footer cells come with a minimum height of 1.058 mm.

MinimumFooterHeight-1.PNG

You still can try to decrease that height, but for this you need a script.

Select all cells in the footer row and run the ExtendScript (JavaScript) code below:

app.selection[0].cells.everyItem().height = "0.1 mm";

This will still reduce the height of the selected cells, but not as much as you like.

The minimum heigth value is set to 0.1 mm as the UI is showing, but the real height of the footer is still 0.55 mm. A bareer you cannot break in InDesign:

MinimumFooterHeight-2.PNG

Download this variant of my document from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poj63rt7r3rabw4/CustomTableStyle-3-CellStyles-FooterMinimumHeight-2021.ind...

So to answer your initial question:

With one exception, the stroke at the bottom of the table, you can do the design by applying a table style to a table.

I tried that workaround with a footer row, but this also requires manual intervention.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to not read the answers we give you!

The header column stroke can be parametered in the table style!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/can-table-and-cell-styles-automatically-achieve-this-effect/...

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. There is a similar thread open by the OP started on April 3. Did not catch it.

FWIW: This one started before, on March 19.

Best,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked under that post again

Help me to have a look if you have time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 喜狼_edny,

what exactly is unclear now?

I gave you an answer here with some test documents you can download. Inspect them, look into the applied table style and the used cell styles and see how they work together.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

I asked, another question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines