• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using InDesign for digital ads; bad idea or bad process?

Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently made the jump to attempt using InDesign for digital ad layout and exports to keep file size low and because Illustrator doesn't run near as smoothly. Currently I simply have multiple pages each sized to the needed dimensions within one spread to keep them all in view. The tradeoff to this method is that I have each page listed side by side in the pages panel and can't differentiate exporting each size effectively without a bit of extra gruntwork naming the files after export.

Would a better workflow be using the Alternate Layout function for each dimension and using different branding for each size within a different layer, or should I just revert back to Illustrator? My main qualm is being able to see all the dimensions in one view (see screenshots).

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.00.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.58.30 AM.png

  

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

With the Pages tool you can select a page and get its dimensions from the Control or Transform panel. So here I can see I have page 2 selected and its pixel dimensions are 300x200.

Screen Shot 2.png

With a script it would be possible to export all 9 pages named with the document title + the page dimesions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

There’s also the Properties panel:

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Export to an image format, and it’s just a naming problem? The file naming could be scripted—you could get the page’s pixel dimensions and include them in the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's exporting the images with the naming that's my qualm. I've not dabbled with InDesign scripts. I'd like to be able to selectively export individual pages. It's difficult for me to discern form the pages panel which page is which size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Pages tool you can select a page and get its dimensions from the Control or Transform panel. So here I can see I have page 2 selected and its pixel dimensions are 300x200.

Screen Shot 2.png

With a script it would be possible to export all 9 pages named with the document title + the page dimesions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There’s also the Properties panel:

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines