• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vanishing Spot Colors in psd file when putting in InDesign

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a two-color Photoshop file by adding a spot color channel to a grayscale image. When I place it in InDesign the spot color sometimes disappears and sometimes converts to grays. In the past this did not occur. Is there a setting or something thast I am missing?

Here's a screen shot of the alert that I receive.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Sorry it took so long to reply but the full Pantone Book name did the trick. Thank you very much for all your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving the Grayscale as a .PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am. Unfortunately this forum will not allow me to attach a native Photoshop file so I am attaching a screen shot from Photoshop.

Thank you in advance.

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.19.04 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it should work. What versions of ID & PS are you using? It shouldn’t matter but try clicking the color swatch and using the full Book Pantone name:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry it took so long to reply but the full Pantone Book name did the trick. Thank you very much for all your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that doesn’t help share the PS file via Dropbox or your CC account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to consider setting the masthead text in InDesign and applying the spot color there. A PSD is going to rasterize the text and the masthead tagline probably wants to be kept as vector text.

With text on a layer there would be the option of saving out as PDF and preserving the vector type, but that won’t work with a spot channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image > Mode > RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not if you want the output to be 2-color— Black + Pantone 186.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather a waste of time selecting a Pantone spot colour if it's not to be commercially printed and the OP is using RGB for screen (or even prints).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m assuming it’s for print—the OP needs a 2-color file and never mentioned the output would be for screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines